Oven/hob, 2 radial circuits?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read a few posts in here now and just ended up confused!!

I am currently redoing my kitchen and while doing the plaster, did burry a 6mm2 cable ready for use (not connected to the cu, also cu to be updated very soon)

I am planning to re-use the existing built-in oven (not sure of wattage) and an electical hob 6kW.
I initially thought I could feed one 45A DP switch (32A MCB on cu) and from the cooker connection unit, connect both the oven and hob both with 6mm2.
I was advised to run 2 radial circuits, the existing 6mm2 for the hob and an extra 2.5mm2 for the oven, each having a 45A DP switch.
This would mean more work to re-chanel the wall, route a cable and fit a second 45A DP switch.
A 1st advise was one cooker switch would be enough...

Also, what if I upgrade the oven to more powerful or double oven?

Sponsored Links
If its a single oven, you can sue a fused spur, either from the cooker circuit or from the ring main. The advantage of doing it from the cooker circuit is that the cooker switch isolates the oven too. Or you can just fit a single socket wired to the cooker outlet with the hob, then plug the oven into it.

By single socket wired to the cooker outlet, is that off the 45A DP switch? or the cooker connection unit on the wall or straight off the connections on the hob?
So still would be ok if one i upgrade with more powerfull then.
By the way, is the cooker switch being 30cm away from hob good enough?

Sponsored Links
30cm is good enough.

Untitled-3.jpg

If required in the future, you can replace the socket with another cooker outlet. :)

Glad i don't have to channel the kitchen wall again! Was at b&q the other day, electrician told me i needed 2 radial circuits, another sparky said i didn't...
Thanks for your help. Can't be clearer!

one more question: if i wanted to supply an extractor fan/hood, could i use a spur from that 6mm2, before reaching the cooker switch ie between the switch and cu? The hood cable is only a 0.75mm2, could i replace it with a 1.5mm2 for the sur (using a ccu)?
Other option would be from bottom of the wall, all back up...

i actually slightly damaged the 6mm2 cable by removing some plaster (doh!!!) and thought of a spur for the extractor/hood but just realised from a radial circuit.
Some heatproof tape should do as only slightly damaged, could see the copper of one wire though...or should i repair it with a ccu into the wall? Ok to hide it behind the hood ie not easily inspectable?

A ccu is a cooker control unit.

An FCU is a Fused Connection Unit.

Bad idea to confuse this terminoligy on a cooker circuit.

Anyway, I'd really advise changing the cable. Sorry. Anything else is a bodge. Unless you can move the cooker control unit back to this location.

Its very well having an FCU on the end of a circuit like this (say, to power an oven), as there would only ever be 13A flowing through it, but in the middle of the circuit where there could be 40 amps flowing, its not designed for such currents.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back