cable interference

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am getting mixed messages on the following and was wondering if I can have a clear view from someone:

Can twin and earth, alarm, sky, ethernet and telephone cables run alongside each other? I.e. Same wall chase it joist hole.

Sponsored Links
Nope. You need 50mm minimum separation between the T & E (assuming it is carrying 240v) and the comms stuff OR a physical barrier between them (separation is better where you can do it though). Comms won't interfere with each other.

Thanks for the response. It's not completely surprising but I am concerned about the practicalities. Presumably this will require additional wall chases alongside existing wall chases (for twin and earth) and additional joist holes alongside the existing holes? Additionally, as my comms equipment will be situated near the consumer unit, I will need to devise a separate route for these cables in order to ensure the separation you have suggested. Back to the drawing board...

Sponsored Links
Yup. Just make the chases wider and cap the comms cables separately next to them (allowing for 50mm spacing ofc).

We often put comms cables (CAT6, Coax & BT) near consumer units - if you dress it all properly, it's no big deal.

With regards to extra holes, ensure you follow the rules for drilling joists.

larger-holes-notches-in-joists.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back