Wiring for 12v DC doorbell alongside twin and earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a 12v dc smart doorbell and run the cabling under floorboards along the joist cable clipped, along with all the twin and earth etc cables.
However, am i correct that I cannot run the standard bell wire alongside/near the main 240v twin and earth lighting/socket cables?
I might be wrong, but want to ensure its correct.
For a slightly thicker cable, could i use intruder alarm cable and use the 2 cores (positive and negative) as an alternative to the bell wire as intruder alarm is 12v as well and cables are already running in this area?
I want to locate the transformer next to the consumer unit, not in it, but the path from the consumer unit to front door would be the same as the twin and earth.
Want to make sure it is correct for regs.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It’s not really to do with the type of cable.

But best to keep it 6 inches apart

Thanks, i just wasn't sure with it being low voltage and very thin cable that it should be ran the same route as all the twin and earth grey cables.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, i just wasn't sure with it being low voltage and very thin cable that it should be ran the same route as all the twin and earth grey cables.

It is not low voltage. The 240v is low voltage. 12v is extra low voltage.

The regs state separation of circuits like this. In practise it doesnt happen.
Ever look at the back of your Satellite box? there's all sorts in there, 230v, telephone cables (50v), an ethernet cable or two, all heaped togther in some sort of demented dish of electrical spaghetti.

Try to pin the 12v as far away as you practically can, however don't lose sleep about it if it goes close, it happens all the time and they don't have problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back