Wire to use, when wiring video doorbell to transformer in consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to wire a video doorbell (ring, Google etc) to a transformer, then place this in my consumer unit.

Is it okay to use standard doorbell wire from the doorbell to the transformer?

Is it true that I could have a problem with electrical interference if I use thin doorbell cable?

So to avoid this, one should use 1mm/ 1.5mm two core cable (no earth).

Sponsored Links
Any cable in a consumer unit should be rated for mains voltage, and anything fitted in a consumer unit should be type tested for that consumer unit, which means made by the consumer unit manufacturer, many of the video door bells use different voltages to the standard 4-8 etc which have been traditional for decades, which means often you can't find one the correct voltage to mount in a consumer unit.

One would expect designers to include some interference suppression in their design, however one would also expect them to use standard voltages, so who knows?

Any cable in a consumer unit should be rated for mains voltage, and anything fitted in a consumer unit should be type tested for that consumer unit, which means made by the consumer unit manufacturer, many of the video door bells use different voltages to the standard 4-8 etc which have been traditional for decades, which means often you can't find one the correct voltage to mount in a consumer unit.

One would expect designers to include some interference suppression in their design, however one would also expect them to use standard voltages, so who knows?

So as i have a BG consumer unit, it is mandatory that I use a BG transformer?

I have the ring transformer and it doorbell needs 8-24v

Also does a transformer need to be easily accessible or can I place it in the ceiling?

So as i have a BG consumer unit, it is mandatory that I use a BG transformer?

I have the ring transformer and it doorbell needs 8-24v

Also does a transformer need to be easily accessible or can I place it in the ceiling?
The rules say that a consumer unit is only type-tested (and certified as such) if it only contains the manufacturer’s parts. Add a third party at your own risk.

The transformer will have screw terminals and so should be accessible. If you put it in the ceiling then provide an access panel otherwise the ceiling has to come down when the transformer fails (and they do).

Sponsored Links
As far as I am aware it is not mandatory to have a consumer unit, I have raised the question many times as to where it says we must use type tested stuff in premises under the control of an ordinary person, and not found where it says that. So if a non BG transformer is fitted into a BG distribution unit all it means is it is no longer a consumer unit.

Many consumer units have the German standard (DIN) rail mounting, so you could fit another make, although some have only half a DIN rail, and some times the hole where the MCB/RCBO would normally come through the cover so you can operate them does not align, and also where bus bars are used, often they also don't align, also the temperature inside the unit may go out of spec, so theory says should not be mounted in the consumer unit, however an inspector doing an EICR would need to be rather pedantic to code a non permitted item inside the CU.

I know when working in Sizewell power station some items where installed and then a wall built around them, I asked about maintenance, and was told easy, just knock the wall down, so even behind a wall still accessible. We talk about maintenance free, and with a batching plant I have as part of the maintenance schedule tested the torque on all the terminals. However I have never seen a domestic home with a maintenance schedule, so what is the point in making it accessible for maintenance, if that maintenance is never carried out? Even with the main consumer unit, I have never seen anyone test the torque on the terminals after first installed.

However one must be aware people do feel for things under floor boards and in ceilings, so any part in the void will need to be in an enclosure of some sort to stop anyone in error touching live terminals, or mouse or spider, since don't want the RCD tripping.

We have to use some common sense, and in hind sight, when I fitted this lamp 20220529_211956.jpg fitting the relay inside the lamp was not the best move, as to get to it, even if it is only behind 5 knurled nuts, as to remove all the dangling bits will take some time. It may never go wrong, but if you make it hard to access, you can bet your life you will want to even if just to fault find, and nothing has gone wrong.

As far as I am aware it is not mandatory to have a consumer unit, I have raised the question many times as to where it says we must use type tested stuff in premises under the control of an ordinary person, and not found where it says that. So if a non BG transformer is fitted into a BG distribution unit all it means is it is no longer a consumer unit.

Many consumer units have the German standard (DIN) rail mounting, so you could fit another make, although some have only half a DIN rail, and some times the hole where the MCB/RCBO would normally come through the cover so you can operate them does not align, and also where bus bars are used, often they also don't align, also the temperature inside the unit may go out of spec, so theory says should not be mounted in the consumer unit, however an inspector doing an EICR would need to be rather pedantic to code a non permitted item inside the CU.

I know when working in Sizewell power station some items where installed and then a wall built around them, I asked about maintenance, and was told easy, just knock the wall down, so even behind a wall still accessible. We talk about maintenance free, and with a batching plant I have as part of the maintenance schedule tested the torque on all the terminals. However I have never seen a domestic home with a maintenance schedule, so what is the point in making it accessible for maintenance, if that maintenance is never carried out? Even with the main consumer unit, I have never seen anyone test the torque on the terminals after first installed.

However one must be aware people do feel for things under floor boards and in ceilings, so any part in the void will need to be in an enclosure of some sort to stop anyone in error touching live terminals, or mouse or spider, since don't want the RCD tripping.

We have to use some common sense, and in hind sight, when I fitted this lamp View attachment 300251 fitting the relay inside the lamp was not the best move, as to get to it, even if it is only behind 5 knurled nuts, as to remove all the dangling bits will take some time. It may never go wrong, but if you make it hard to access, you can bet your life you will want to even if just to fault find, and nothing has gone wrong.
Post of the day!

Post of the day!
I’m not going to disagree, but the general safety and operating environment at Sizewell B is a million miles away from that in your average house.
Basically the assumption is that your average domestic resident is barely capable of getting out of bed without exposing him(her)self to some sort of danger.
Therefore you are delivered with a Consumer’s Unit that does what it is designed to do. Any additions change the specification because (obviously) Mr or Mrs houseperson don’t have a Scooby.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back