Doorbell Transformer - what to do with it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve just taken out an understairs cupboard that was a waste of space due to access of which houses our consumer unit, meter and a doorbell transformer and will be boxing everything.

It looks like the doorbell transformer (Freidland 752) is wired directly to the consumer unit with a light switch in the middle. I can isolate the doorbell with this switch. This is where my question/advice comes in.

Can I use this connection for another use eg. get the transformer removed and replace with a more useful double socket? Or make use of the cabling and install a security light/camera?

I’ve been wanting a Ring/Blink doorbell so not worried about losing the old school bell that winds my dog up!

Please note works will be carried out by a qualified electrician!

Attachments

• 1A52530C-17C9-4EEB-96C1-54E70980BD1C.jpeg
    1A52530C-17C9-4EEB-96C1-54E70980BD1C.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 88
Sponsored Links
The bell will be wired to a low amp circuit, probably a lighting circuit, so a socket would be pointless if you wanted to power anything than needs more than (say) 5amps. Which MCB in the consumer unit isolates the transformer?

You could put a socket there and use that to power a security lamp/camera, but better to remove the transformer andf switch completely and then install a 13amp socket connected to one of the existing socket circuits. Then you can use it for whatever you want.

Ah, ok, makes sense now…just tried the “downstairs lights” MCB and that isolated it. I didn’t even consider trying that.

I’ll get my sparky round to work his magic and make it more useful!

How are you planning to power your ring door bell?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back