Doorbell transformer for Nest/Ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we are looking to get a smart doorbell (Nest or Ring) and was hoping it would be a simple case of replacing existing wired bell push.

However I understand the existing transformer may be unsuitable. I'm struggling to find the transformer and all I can see is the chime box (photo attached with cover off - not sure why there is a loose unsheathed wire there!). Is the transformer integrated here? Voltages look too low anyway, so assuming I will need an electrician but thought I would check in here first.

Consumer unit has a switch for the doorbell circuit but nothing else additional which would look like a transformer.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20201128_144726575.jpg
    IMG_20201128_144726575.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 293
Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks.

I was hoping to use the existing doorbell wiring rather than using a plug in socket and new wiring (I don't have a plug socket nearby in any case).

That appears to be telephone cable. Not sure of the current requirements of the Ring thing, but you may need to double, or even quad, up the cores to avoid volt drop.

can’t add to the power supply comments above.

The bell you gave does not have an integrated power supply. You must have a transformer somewhere else. May be in if next to your consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

Yes I thought it looked like telephone wire. Definitely can't see a transformer anywhere. Nothing on or around consumer unit. May have to ask my electrician to visit. Don't want to buy the bell if isn't going to be possible to connect up.

I know the Ring bell can be used wirelessly off internal rechargeable battery but of course it won't sound the internal chime.

Nothing ever simple with my house!

Thanks for your help.

If you are after the Ring plugin transformer, go direct to them. I am about to order one for a Ring Doorbell Pro and they're only £15.

Thanks.

Yes I thought it looked like telephone wire. Definitely can't see a transformer anywhere. Nothing on or around consumer unit. May have to ask my electrician to visit. Don't want to buy the bell if isn't going to be possible to connect up.

I know the Ring bell can be used wirelessly off internal rechargeable battery but of course it won't sound the internal chime.

Nothing ever simple with my house!

Thanks for your help.

You can buy a plug-in chime which will sound when the ring door bell is pressed. I have recently fitted a ring door bell I would recommend not running it on battery.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back