Which transformer for Ring Video Doorbell Wired (UK)?

So it appears that some bell transformers are a poor crappy design and cannot take full load continuously after all. Apologies to BG for saying it was a myth.
However I wonder if this only applies to the small ones squeezed into a CU. The large Friedland types certainly look big enough to run 20VA continuously.

Sponsored Links
They are not poor crappy designs, just the opposite in fact. They are designed to perform a particular task and to do that task safely and reliably.

If there is any crap it is the lack of knowledge and the subsequent misuse of items ( such as bell transformers ) for a task they are not designed for.

So it appears that some bell transformers are a poor crappy design and cannot take full load continuously after all. Apologies to BG for saying it was a myth.
However I wonder if this only applies to the small ones squeezed into a CU. The large Friedland types certainly look big enough to run 20VA continuously.
Errr no...

I fell into this trap in 2019, I needed to install a 10W led flood lamp for several days at an event, the CU was in the old pantry, now used as a cupboard for brooms, Henry, etc. My intention was to add another circuit in the CU for a 12V transformer. After mounting the light and passing a cable through the air brick I found the unused friedland 12V 1.5A (I think model 3835) measured the voltage at something like 18V (within the 12-24V of the lamp) and connected to it. Measured the voltage at near 13V.

Only minutes later the light went out and the transformer was very hot.

They are not poor crappy designs, just the opposite in fact. They are designed to perform a particular task and to do that task safely and reliably.

If there is any crap it is the lack of knowledge and the subsequent misuse of items ( such as bell transformers ) for a task they are not designed for.
Touche.

Guilty m'lud

Sponsored Links
Don't worry, I also learnt the same lesson the hard way when, in my innocent and ignorant youth, I used a bell transformer to run a small lamp as well as the bell. Wired the lamp directly to the transformer and not in series with the bell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back