Ring Video Doorbell & Transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have purchased Ring Video Doorbell. {wifes idea}

This runs off a battery {that has to be recharged periodically} or can be wired into a pre-existing doorbell circuit.

I dont have one of those and getting a wire to to the CU will be a nightmare, and I dont have any spare slots.

So I have been searching for a transformer solution.

Ring state on their info pages .... "Yes! If you don't have an existing doorbell, it's possible to connect a Ring Doorbell directly to a low voltage 8-24V AC transformer."

My question is .. I have a mains plug socket near my door. Can I buy something like this ..

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/chassis-mounting-transformers/0504583/

and house it in a box and run a mains lead to the socket? via a fused spur?

Or am I missing something in its Use / Output / Connections etc .. or is their an easier solution

All answers greatly appreciated

Jason

Sponsored Links
I have purchased Ring Video Doorbell. {wifes idea}

I bought one of those (for the same reason). It didn't work very well though (flaky broadband I think) so it went back. So make sure it works as she wants before spending too much time and money on it.

Sponsored Links
I bought one of those (for the same reason). It didn't work very well though (flaky broadband I think) so it went back. So make sure it works as she wants before spending too much time and money on it.

Yes I have read quite a few reviews etc and looked at alternatives that weren't quite so expensive ... lots of good reviews but a fair few like yours with issues with broadband etc ... and also issues over motion sensing.
But this one seems to be the best out there ...
I was interested in this one

http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/ct568w/electriq-ct568w-video-doorbell

as it keeps its own recordings etc .. no monthly subs ... but could find Zero reviews or other info re power/fitting/performance etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back