Doorbell Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

i was hoping you could help - i'm replacing wireless doorbell with wired and i've bought a doorbell chime the Honeywell RCW3501N wired door chime that requires a 16v 10av ac transformer but i can't for the life of me find one!! (for 240v/uk anyway)

The closest i've found is a 18v 10av transformer:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/chassis-mounting-transformers/0504583/

will this work with this chime or is the volts difference within limitation as they are still both 10va rated or is it going to cause a problem? don't want to fry or shorten the chimes life expectancy lol.

Honeywell RCW3501N manual just says:
"Transformer powered - Wiring for standard/lighted push via a 16V 10VA transformer."

Thanks

Sponsored Links
12 volt is likely good enough see this example 8 and 16 volt were the standard voltages for door chimes using an AC supply. The
TCTR7.JPG
one linked to has a case which has no exposed wires, a google showed many examples but most did not have a casing around them.

I have an 8v bell but with an 8volt transformer it doesn't work so I had to go out of my way to find a 4-8-12V jobbie If that's anything to go by, you wont be able to get away with have less than the recommended spec.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
Yes, it's american but thought it would still work with the right transformer.. Silly me thinkin they would be 16v transformer would be easy to get in uk *smacks head* the only reason it needs to be 16V chime/transformer is the ring pro doorbell only supports 16v-24v ac transformer/chime. Which started this downward spiral...lol

If you want a proper "Doorbell Transformer" in a nice white box, you might have to pay a lot of cash. If you want something that is ready for a chassis mount then the usual suspects like CPC Farnell, Rapid Electronics or Maplin will be right up your street. Stick in a fuse holder for good measure.

https://www.rapidonline.com/chassis-transformers

Nozzle

The voltage out will be proportional with the mains voltage. As this can (roughly) be 230v +&- 10% then your 15v transformer will be fine.

Well... I bought a bell and a matching transformer (same brand). It worked fine till I added 10m of bell wire. I lost 25% of the voltage down the wire, and the bell didn't ring. This was 8V, but you get the idea.

Our actual voltage here is 250V, although of course nominal 230V.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back