Wired doorbell question!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new fangled electronic doorbell (http://www.getdoorbot.com/) and want to hook it up to a traditional wired doorbell so it's rings in the house (like a normal doorbell does!)

Specs for the device say:

Doorbot is only compatible with mechanical doorbell chimes wired in series to a 8VAC-24VAC transformer. Doorbot is not compatible with wireless doorbell chimes and wired electronic doorbell chimes using either AC or DC power.

So I think this would be OK:

http://doorchimesuk.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=630

But I'd also need:

http://doorchimesuk.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=57&products_id=684

Right?

Just to clarify, I currently have no doorbell wiring and will be getting an electrician to fit this for me.

Sponsored Links
Yes, there seems to be two connections, like a normal doorbell push button.
Interesting product…..

Specs for the device say:

Doorbot is only compatible with mechanical doorbell chimes wired in series to a 8VAC-24VAC transformer. Doorbot is not compatible with wireless doorbell chimes and wired electronic doorbell chimes using either AC or DC power.

The Grothe Croma 100A Electronic Wired Doorchime is electronic.

Sponsored Links
Is it a good idea to put a very expensive "door bell" on the outside of a house and then rely on a single screw to prevent it being stolen. Is it a security head screw ?

And the reliance of having the home network up and running to have a working door bell seems a bit like technology gone mad.

Is it a good idea to put a very expensive "door bell" on the outside of a house and then rely on a single screw to prevent it being stolen. Is it a security head screw ?

Nope it's a simple Philips screw! I did wonder that originally but Doorbot provide a theft guarantee giving you a free replacement if it's stolen. I'm guessing, as it's a cloud service, that they can easily 'kill' stolen Dootbor's remotely.

And the reliance of having the home network up and running to have a working door bell seems a bit like technology gone mad.

... hence me hooking it up to a traditional doorbell. For me the benefit is being able to answer the door when not at home (which is a lot).

When I was young and mischievous a length of string tied to a door knocker meant it was possible to knock on a door from a distance.

Now with door bells working via the cloud that "length of string" could be thousands of miles.

(( the string was tied to the knocker with a loose loop of cotton. A strong pull snapped the loop, releasing the string which was then pulled away with the broken cotton removing all the evidence of who had been responsible ))

Nope it's a simple Philips screw!

Have a look at the video. They say the cover retaining screw is a "security screw" and they provide a special driver for it (looks like a Tork screw to me).

I havent seen it available on any UK sites as yet.

For me the benefit is being able to answer the door when not at home (which is a lot).
I'm trying to think of what benefit that might be.

Why not have a notice on the door which says
"If no answer please call 07xxxxxxxxx".

I would think it preferable to have just a security camera to see who it is so I can choose not to answer the door when I am home - but then ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back