Cable/Stud Finder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to hang a couple of mirrors but when I passed a cable finder over the area it clicked away indicating that there was a cable present. The thing is that this did not seem to follow a cable run but over a pretty large area. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes. Unless your cable finder cost over half-a-grand it would be unwise to rely on it. Seriously, you have to make a considerable investment in that kind of kit to have any faith in it.

A cheaper option is to decide where you want the mirrors then gently remove the plaster from the places where your fixings need to go. (A cold chisel and club hammer will do the job) You should be able to reveal any cables without damaging them. Then, when you've found and installed your safe anchorages you can patch over.

It sounds drastic, but what would you rather do - apply a bit of polyfilla or replace a length of buried cable?

The cable finder is just a metal detector so may be detecting a foil backing on the plasterboard.

Well done for using one!

Have a look on the other side of the wall, are there any sockets, switches?

Try the cable finder on a know cable route, i.e above a switch or around a socket and see how it reports the cable, this may help you to understand what it's telling you. It also may have picked up water pipes which some of them do.

If it keeps reporting a cable, whatever you do, don't drill the wall until you have sorted out whats going on

Sponsored Links
Pensdown said:
Well done for using one!

Have a look on the other side of the wall, are there any sockets, switches?

Try the cable finder on a know cable route, i.e above a switch or around a socket and see how it reports the cable, this may help you to understand what it's telling you.
Thanks

Other side is the outside of building.

On a known route it clicks at same frequency but louder so it may be a foil backing. On pipes it issues a coninouos tone.

I will proceed with utter caution.

If this is an outside wal then its not unusual to find foil backed plasterboard to keep the heat in.

Thanks for all responses.

Will try to sort out what is where before proceeding.

Pensdown said:
You may even find something valuable in the cavity :p

That is my old house and I left a sack of gold soverigns walled up in it. Will you send them to me when you find them please.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back