running cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Not quite electrics related question; it is about running ethernet cables inside the wall and I am looking for some ideas to finish my work.

I drilled a vertical hole (18mm) in the wall behind staircases. Now I am looking for the best way to find exact place where I suppose to drill horizontal hole to meet the vertical one (it's about 5-6cm inside the wall).

Due to awkward location I am not able to measure the location precisely enough to be sure where i should drill the horizontal one. I know pretty much where it is in terms of measurements and i confirmed it with metal/stud finder but i don't think the readings are giving me location precise enough so those two holes can meet. Would appreciate any advices.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
edit: Beaten to it.

To add though, don't drill the second hole horizontally, it will be a nightmare for fishing the cables through at a near 90° angle. Drill up to intersect the downwards hole at a shallow angle.

upload_2019-2-26_23-41-39.png

Yeah thanks for that, the trick with compass and magnet is genius! I think i will need to buy a small magnet to be able to fish it through the vertical hole (the green one on your picture) and adjust the compass somewhere near the horizontal one that won't be so horizontal after your tip. Thank you and will report back on success :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for help at the end bought one of these cheap stud finders and was able to locate the cable - inserted the drill and located it with the DMS03. Ferrite magnet wasn't strong enough or i did something wrong. Big thanks again :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back