Running cable between floors

Simon,
Yes, I am aware that cat7 is probably overkilled. I don't know, I'll think about it. Probably a shielded cat 5e would be enough.
Thanks for your input. I think I'll buy a stud finder and I'll come up with a plan once I know where the noggins are.

Sponsored Links
Screened is not always a good idea either - screened cable has different characteristics. And if the screen isn't correctly connected it does no good anyway.
So stick to a Cat6 UTP (Unscreened twisted pair), and make sure you don't fall for the copper covered aluminium cable scam.

Good suggestion Simon. We have cat6 at work (I work for a cinema company) and that should be good quality - I'll double check.
Not sure about the screened advice though. If the screen is connected to the shell of the plug, shouldn't that be working well?

Sponsored Links
so my question stands: how to I run the bloody cable? :) Indeed an ethernet socket by the wrong corner could be a compromise.

Yes and when you find out how
Good suggestion Simon. We have cat6 at work (I work for a cinema company) and that should be good quality - I'll double check.

Well, at least it's cheap:rolleyes:

DS

The amount of noise it introduces in my powered speakers is beyond any tolerable compromise. I can hear it from the other room. I'm using it till I find something better - that is, the Ethernet cable! :)

With all the "smart" meters that the power companies are obliged to instal by 2020, the whole mains network will become a mish-mash of communications noise. Installing CE approved ( :LOL: ) domestic equipment can hardly be called "deliberately causing interference". Companies manufacturing and those who sell equipment that doesn't comply with whatever standards govern the design, manufacture and sale of such equipment is where the fault lies.

I believe smart meters use the mobile phone networks rather than communications over the mains wiring.

Installing CE approved ( :LOL: ) domestic equipment can hardly be called "deliberately causing interference".
Well I suppose that's true while you can legitimately claim ignorance.
Companies manufacturing and those who sell equipment that doesn't comply with whatever standards govern the design, manufacture and sale of such equipment is where the fault lies.
Technically, the equipment "as tested" passed the tests - allegedly. The fact that they deliberately test them in a non-standard setup (ie in a filtered socket so the signal can't get to the main cabling is just outright fraud. But where the real fault lies in with our regulatory bodies that have, apparently, put a lot of effort into coming up with justifications for why "it's not my problem" - and there have been strong suggestions that this is because the nit of OfCon that used to be the RA was afraid to upset BT, an example of regulatory capture where a large company effectively gets to call the tune at the regulator that is supposedly regulating it.
Lots, lots more over at http://www.ban-plt.org.uk

I believe smart meters use the mobile phone networks ...
Which is causing them some problems where there's no signal. I haven't heard what their "plan B" is for these yet.
If I ever have the chance to fulfil my dream of building my own house, the meters will be in screened enclosures :whistle:

Find a way of getting there running parallel to and between floor joists, not across/ thru them? You may need to use a longer cable.

Tape a drawstring/cord to the end of a retractable tape measure, and push that thru. Use the cord to then pull the cable in. Because the tape will bend in one plane, it also works well if you have the skirting off and you can go down the edge of the floor into the void between joists. Or hole-to-hole in ceilings. Just sayin'.

Because the tape will bend in one plane, it also works well if you have the skirting off and you can go down the edge of the floor into the void between joists.
The fun sometime starts when one tries to pull the tape out again, 'cos of that little 'grappling hook' attached to its end :)

Kind Regards, John

Dain - do you really think that 14 months on Tony is still wondering how to run his cable?

Dain - do you really think that 14 months on Tony is still wondering how to run his cable?

Indeed! It's a shame that Tony didn't come back and tell us what he did end up doing though isn't it.

And yes, the powerline stuff sucks, for all the reasons mentioned in this thread!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back