Cables beside Rockwool in stud wall ??

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi chaps.

I’ll be getting a sparky in to do the work but I’d like to know what options are.

have a stud wall which , as you can see, I am stuffing with rokwool for sound and heat insulation for understairs WC. As you can also see there is a planned light switch in the wall.

Iv read you can’t have cable running under insulation like this but surely there are solutions? Conduit ?

Attachments

• D79254DD-E670-4E22-874D-76AE580F2BC2.jpeg
    D79254DD-E670-4E22-874D-76AE580F2BC2.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 347
Sponsored Links
have a stud wall which , as you can see, I am stuffing with rokwool for sound and heat insulation for understairs WC.
As a matter of curiosity, is the idea of the insulation to stop heat getting into, or out of, the WC?
As you can also see there is a planned light switch in the wall. Iv read you can’t have cable running under insulation like this but surely there are solutions? Conduit ?
As has been said, there's no issue for a lighting circuit cable.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Sound insulation :cautious:
That makes sense (and I have insulation in the walls of a 'downstairs WC' for that reason) but you wrote "...for sound and heat insulation...", so hence my curiosity which prompted my question about the latter :)

Kind Regards, John

Yes mainly sound muffling not so much for insulation properties

ok so I don’t have to worry about having the cable covered in rokwool at all?

what if it’s looped in with extractor fan for the wc?

Yes mainly sound muffling not so much for insulation properties ok so I don’t have to worry about having the cable covered in rokwool at all? what if it’s looped in with extractor fan for the wc?
Same answer. Although having a cable in proximity to (or even going through) thermal insulation will usually decrease the maximum current-carrying capacity, the smallest cable that could be used for this purpose represents so much 'overkill' (current-carrying-capacity-wise) in relation to the relatively tiny abound of current take by a light+fan that it will make no significant difference.

Kind Regards, John

The place to run the cable will be against the plasterboard with the rockwool on top of the cable. The plasterboard will then dissipate heat.
But, as above, this wont be an issue for a lighting circuit.

and just to be clear..there is no need either for pvc conduit of any kind?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back