Cables in cavity wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I read somewhere in a conservatory forum that electrical cables for power sockets are not allowed to run in the wall cavity according to the regs.

Q1. Is this correct?

If so Q2. Our new conservatory will have exposed brick walls internally so there's no plaster to sink the cables into. How should the cables be run to the sockets?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
personally, I aint heard of that one...........

It's because if you at some point inject cavity wall insulation it will leach the plasticiser from the PVC insulation.

This is a Bad Thing.

You may take cables through a cavity inside conduit. Normal cavity bridging rules re damp etc apply.

You don't say if the wall is painted, or bare brick.

As Breezer says, surface mounted cables are ugly, as is that white trunking.

Have you considered metalclad accessories and surface mounted metal conduit?

MKK2977.jpg
MKK2946.jpg

MKK3591.jpg
MKK3592.jpg

A bit industrial for the living room, but maybe OK in a conservatory?

If you're painting the brick wall you could paint the conduit and sockets etc the same colour to blend in, or, what I saw once, and it looked very effective, which was all of it painted with one of those special paints which gave it an old bronze-y, verdigris appearance. Looked pretty cool, actually.

Other thoughts - consider if you actually need lightswitches in the conservatory, or if they could be indoors, because if all you need are some sockets, then provided you can get the cable through the wall, you could use this sort of stuff mounted where a skirting board would be:

UVSLSX.jpg

GFGX3800.jpg

Sponsored Links
How about thoughs wireless ones.............you the know the ones where people think they have them wherever....just like magic.... :D

or you could have the camoflage ones..........trouble is i cant see them

OK OK! :LOL: Cavity will have non combustible glass fibre type insulation so there's no risk of leaching the plasticiser.
Thanks for your help.

I believe that you are still not allowed to do it.

I don't think it's a case of "you shouldn't if...", I think it's simply "you shouldn't"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back