Can 2 RSJ's be joined in T shape?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Looking for some help with regards to RSJ's / Steels.

We are looking to extend the back of our house but have to place 2 new steels in to take the weight of a single storey and rooof above. The house is a typical victorian Semi detached with the kitchen coming off the back of the house creating a T-Shape if you were to look from a birds eye view. We basically want to take that 'T' and make the back of the house the same width as the front and open up the inside completely.
Obviously 2 Steels will have to be put in to take the weight of the above storey BUT i want there to be NO pillars. I am thinking i would need a pillar where the original back corner of the house is, which is the point where the 2 Steels would join.....

I was wondering..... can 2 RSJ'd be joined like a T? one to take the weight of both, so as to remove any need for pillars?
The total space running across the back of the house (including the new extension would be 4m and the beam to run 'front to back' to take the weight of the top of the existing back wall would be 4.5m.

I hope that all makes sense??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Probably, anything is possible, prepare for deep beams, deeper foundations and even deeper pockets!

Hi All,

Looking for some help with regards to RSJ's / Steels.

We are looking to extend the back of our house but have to place 2 new steels in to take the weight of a single storey and rooof above. The house is a typical victorian Semi detached with the kitchen coming off the back of the house creating a T-Shape if you were to look from a birds eye view. We basically want to take that 'T' and make the back of the house the same width as the front and open up the inside completely.
Obviously 2 Steels will have to be put in to take the weight of the above storey BUT i want there to be NO pillars. I am thinking i would need a pillar where the original back corner of the house is, which is the point where the 2 Steels would join.....

I was wondering..... can 2 RSJ'd be joined like a T? one to take the weight of both, so as to remove any need for pillars?
The total space running across the back of the house (including the new extension would be 4m and the beam to run 'front to back' to take the weight of the top of the existing back wall would be 4.5m.

I hope that all makes sense??

Thanks

This is commonly done. The beams used these days are not really Rolled Steel Joists (which had sloping flanges), but universal beams and universal columns with parallel flanges. The column has deeper flanges.
You would use a "column" (on its side :) across the back and a beam fitting into the flange to form the leg of the "T". I'm not sure how they are bolted together (a plate on the end of the smaller beam ?)
Simon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back