Can hear noise at my house when next door uses water..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.. I was wondering if anyone can help.. Everytime my next door neighb uses there taps anywhere in the house then I can hear it at my house.. The sound is like a hissing, water rushing through pipe noise.. The neighbours say they can't hear anything at all.. I don't understand why we can hear it.. What could this be? Any responses are greatly appreciated.. Thanks..[/u]

Sponsored Links
How old are the properties? Some older homes have a shared supply, with several houses connected to the same pipe. If it runs under your floor before getting to the neighbours then that's maybe why.

The property is probably over 50 years. It is a semi detached house. Is there a solution to this?

Sponsored Links
You don't even have to have the shared pipe running under your house.

We have two incoming mains pipes in our house (probably because many moons ago it was two houses) - fed from the same pipe from the water main, which AFAIK runs up the drive before coming into the house in the relevant places.

If there is a draw on the incomer nearest the watermain I can hear noises in the other pipe, which must be transmitted back along the pipes. I presume it's noise from water flowing in pipes, through stopcocks, out of taps/ball valves etc.

I suspect there is probably nothing much you can do about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back