Can I Cut This Gas Pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As crude a title as this sounds. I am fairly confident that I can just cut through this pipe.

It appears to have no valve on the end and doesn't look to have been capped or soldered. It runs from the fireplace (disconnected 15 years ago by previous owner) into the concrete floor.

Again I am pretty sure that this has just been isolate a long while ago as the previous owners had an electric fireplace. The end piece slides up and down alongside the pipe and doesn't achieve anything.

ZmVX3Wn.jpg

8ps7xTo.jpg

Sponsored Links
Well if it is still live them I'm waiting for the bang. It shouldn't have been left like that, rather taken back as feasible as possible and then capped at the joint, which is probably what's happened here and the redundant pipe left when it should have been cut back. That being said, not knowing the local circumstances, always place safe when it comes to gas and ask a GSR to take a look to confirm.

Should be ok but who knows what is at the other end of the pipe. It may just be turned off at a valve and needs to be properly capped. No way of tracing it?

Should be ok but who knows what is at the other end of the pipe. It may just be turned off at a valve and needs to be properly capped. No way of tracing it?

It goes into the concrete which has had a new (ish) skim on in the last 10 years so I can't see where it disappears off to... I imagine it has to make its way back to the gas mains so will try looking at all points along the way.

At least my initial thoughts were right in that this is just an open ended pipe currently in my living room...

Sponsored Links
Although obviously there is no gas in it at the moment, part of the gas regulations say that even so it needs to be capped. As explained above, in case there was a supply that could be turned on further back.

So it needs to be cut back as far as possible and capped off.

Some might argue that it should be capped by an RGI, although that is probably difficult to argue very strongly as it appears to no longer be in use.

Tony

Although obviously there is no gas in it at the moment, part of the gas regulations say that even so it needs to be capped. As explained above, in case there was a supply that could be turned on further back.

So it needs to be cut back as far as possible and capped off.

Some might argue that it should be capped by an RGI, although that is probably difficult to argue very strongly as it appears to no longer be in use.

Tony

I think I will cut back, cap and cement it in. It quite obviously hasn't been in use for 15 years even with a kitchen/garage extension changing the position of the gas meter.

Thanks all.

Whoaaaa get a RGI to check it all out first you shouldn't be touching it death could very soon follow

Whoaaaa get a RGI to check it all out first you shouldn't be touching it death could very soon follow
How? If it has been in this state for 15 years I fail to see what clipping it back would do that could cause a problem?

Because it has perhaps not been capped off properly at the other end. Gas isn't very forgiving.

Try blowing down it to see if it is connected at the other end.
If not connected then no problem.

So the other end is open then?

Technically that should be capped off too!

But only if it has been a gas pipe!

So the other end is open then?

Technically that should be capped off too!

But only if it has been a gas pipe!

You never know what dangers are lurking after 15 years. "Death could follow".:eek::D

Only pipes previously used for gas need to be capped.

A pipe going to be used does not need to be capped until it's connected to gas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back