Can I do this

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do not have a residual current breaker on the consumer unit.

I have hooked up a small electronic device that draws 1mA on the mains between L and E rather than L and N. There is no N where the device is located.

Could anyone please tell me how bad/dangerous/suicidal/terrible or good this is?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
The hazard you have created is that should the Earth conductors become disconnected from Earth then via your device the Earth conductors will rise to mains Live potential.

With their Earth conductor at mains Live potential all items using that Earth conductor will no longer be earthed. Exposed metal of those items would present a shock hazard to any one using or touching them.

I would agree, with most accidents it is not one fault but a number of faults all together which cause them, and what you are doing means any fault on the earth will result in 230 volt appearing on any bonded metal, although 1 mA may not cause a death under normal circumstances, should some one jump due to the shock that involuntary movement may, be it dropping a kettle full of boiling water, or falling off a ladder.

We see many devices today working quite well without a neutral, my light switch is an example, it is designed to use the current flow to the LED bulb to work. From dimmers, to PIR's to remote controlled switches they all work without a neutral and without using the earth. There is no excuse, just design what you have better.

I do not have a residual current breaker on the consumer unit.

Fit one.

I have hooked up a small electronic device that draws 1mA on the mains between L and E rather than L and N. There is no N where the device is located.

Could anyone please tell me how bad/dangerous/suicidal/terrible or good this is?

You need to take some care to ensure that the current remains limitted even if something fails.
For example, you could fit two resistors in series with it; if the device itself or either of the resistors goes short-circuit then the current is still limitted.
Note that you can use capacitors rather than resistors if you want. Preferably "Y" capacitors.

Personally I'd be happy doing this for a few microamps - it would be no worse than the leakage from an EMI filter. 1 mA soinds a bit high.

Sponsored Links
Andy, what device is it you've attached? What is it for? Perhaps there's another solution that might be more appropriate if you could give a little more info.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back