Can I install a combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has a private water supply from a hill spring. Currently all my water is pumped to a holding tank in the loft. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to install a combi boiler supplied by the water pump that fills my loft tank? The water supply pump cuts in and out when its discharge header pressure drops below a set pressure.

Sponsored Links
ask the manufacturers, dont see a problem with it as long as the pump delivers the correct flow rate/pressure, but, again I would check with the manufacturers

2 issues here.
One is the supply of tap water - don't see a problem,many combis claim to work to very low pressures so your pumped supply should be fine.

Second is the supply for the CH system. Though most expect to use sealed systems which would normally be filled by the mains, some give configurations using a header tank. Ideal Isar is one which comes to mind.

if the pumps OK you should be able to fill a system up to a bar anyway so I would not worry about that too much.

Thats WHY I saud check out flow rates etc

Chris What combis claim to run on low pressures/flow rates cos i aint heard of any, sure would save alot of grief if MI state I can fit them on supplies with crap delivery?

Sponsored Links
Vaillants are mostly 0.5 bar for max flow rate. I had a file on loads of em bit it went down with a hard drive.

It helps generally if you take the flow restrictor out, as long as someone doesn't say it makes it ID...

Thank you very much for the advise, I'll get some info from the manuf. cheers.... :)

...........wondering if it would be possible for me to install a combi boiler supplied by the water pump that fills my loft tank?

Anything's possible, but are you insane or rich? if not either of these use a conventional vented system, or you will find you need to supplement your income to afford the repairs and maintenance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back