Can I paint onto acrylic filler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am planning to paint bare (unvarnished) floorboards using floor paint, but there are some cracks that need filling first.

I know there is a lot of advice out there on the best way to fill gaps between floorboards, but I think I am going to go for a flexible acrylic filler. But what I need to know is will I be able to paint over this with the floor paint or will this give me problems later on? Would using a floor primer paint help if this is the case?

If it is a problem, would I be ok to paint without filling the gaps? Draught is not too much of a problem in this room so filling the gaps would be mainly for aesthetics...

Cheers
T.

Sponsored Links
An acrylic frame sealant type thing is fine - used it on my bathroom floor a couple of years ago, Still perfect. Don't try to hide the lines completely or it will look like a sheet of plywood.

Many thanks

So just leave a shallow furrow along each gap?

I was planning to just run a wet finger between each floorboard to push the sealant down and in.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, what you propose is fine.

As you say use your finger and a damp cloth to remove the excess off the sides if any.

Make sure you leave enough drying time before the application of paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back