Can I repressurize the expansion vessel of a Baxi 105e??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I have read just about every thread regarding this Baxi boiler and have a reasonable idea as to what is wrong, I am just not sure exactly how to solve the problem!! The pressure keeps dropping in the central heating system so I have to add some water every day. When I looked outside there is a steady drip of water from the "overflow". I then checked the pressure valve at the back of the boiler and it was wet. My theory therefore is that the expansion tank is full of water and that it is just "overflowing" when the boiler is running.

I have good access to the valve at the back and can fit a pump onto it but of course I can't repressurize it because it is full of water. My question is therefore very simple. I know that there is a drain valve on the bottom right of the boiler. Is there a way that I can drain the water out of the boiler without having to drain all the water out of the heating system etc and then having to completely recommission the boiler.

Thanks in advance for any advice that is offered. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The prv should not let any water out unless the pressure goes to 3 Bar or above.

If you pressurise the boiler to 1 Bar then when the rads are on and hot the pressure rapidly rises to over 3 Bar, then the EV needs checking.

If the prv is letting by at any pressure, then it points to this needing replacement.

The EV is a pain in the a*se to get at to check on these, remove the cross support plate on top of the boiler at the back first to help.

if you say that when you try to release air from the vessel you get water then the internal diaphram is split. as the diaphram is to give an air pocket to allow for expansion on the other side, means a new vessel I am afraid.

Thanks very much for your amazingly fast replies!

If I unscrew the valve that is on the top at the back (the one that you can attach the bike pump to!) there is water actually coming out of the valve.

I think that you are suggesting the vessel is going to need replacing, I guess there is no other reason why it should be full of water?!!

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it definately is knackered then. Either a new one on the boiler or you can have a seperate EV fitted elsewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back