Can I Stuff Insulation Into This Flat Roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I will be over boarding my Artex ceiling with plasterboard soon but first was wondering if I could cut long rectangles out in the original ceiling and stuff mineral wool in between the joists as the ceiling is very high and room can't retain any heat (dissipates straight through the roof)?

Pictures of ceiling and roof:
lT1JesG.jpg

Qmst7L8.jpg
Note: It's not a flat-flat roof but a sloped one. Construction is plasterboard > joists > perlins > corrugated bitumen sheets.

I found some insulation up there already but it's literally a couple pieces here and there... I want to stuff it more dense so it actually becomes insulated.

Thanks.

• Thanks
Reactions: bsr
Sponsored Links
I can certainly believe that your room will be very cold with the bitch. sheets as a roof.
How deep are the Joists? What ventilation is there to keep the woodwork dry? How worked (rippled or swirled) is the artex? How old is the artex?

Me - with sufficient headroom I'd be thinking about 50 or 100mm PIR insulation straight onto the underside of the artex, vapour sealed and then covered with plasterboard, skimmed or papered.

You could also insulate the walls in a similar fashion.

Sponsored Links
I was going to do something like this in my mothers house, she is in a top flat with a flat roof above her, I wanted to stuff the void between ceiling and roof with rockwoll. I was advised against this due to thermal gradients, condensation, and timber rot. Apparently the way to do it is insulate the roof from above.

If you are going to board-over you ceiling and replaster - why not use an insulation board may be an inch of polyurethane bonded to plasterboard (this sort of stuff) - that would make a difference. Depends how much you can lower your ceiling, it will start to feel claustrophobic if you can reach up and touch it.

I can certainly believe that your room will be very cold with the bitch. sheets as a roof.
How deep are the Joists? What ventilation is there to keep the woodwork dry? How worked (rippled or swirled) is the artex? How old is the artex?

Me - with sufficient headroom I'd be thinking about 50 or 100mm PIR insulation straight onto the underside of the artex, vapour sealed and then covered with plasterboard, skimmed or papered.

You could also insulate the walls in a similar fashion.
this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back