Can I use artists' oil paint to touch up furniture ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our daughter wants us to giver her desk a bit of a makeover.

She wants it black with coloured stars (why ? .. don't ask me)

I'm sure matt black or maybe a eggshell finish paint would be Ok for the main paintwork .. am I correct ?

Regarding the coloured stars, I can either buy or even make a couple of stencils, then simply dab on the paint.

Would artists' oil paint (the type in the wee tubes) do for this. I've seen boxes of 12 coloured tubes for £3-£4 which would be enough of each colour and much cheaper than buying conventional paint. There used to be a model shop nearby, which sold those wee small pots for painting model aircraft etc. but sadly that closed a few months ago. i don't know anywhere else that has those pots, I think they were branded Humbrol.

thank you

Sponsored Links
Any help?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Assorted-H...e=UTF8&qid=1478945228&sr=8-1&keywords=humbrol
Genuine artists oils will be very slow drying, an acrylic artists paint should work although it may have only a fairly short life but I guess a year or so later tastes will have changed ;) A coat of clear varnish over the finished product should make it more durable though.
Having done some oil paintings you're looking at drying times on the scale of weeks to months - Footprints' suggestion is much better although you might want to add a coat or two of clear polyurethane varnish (satin?) over the top to improve durability.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back