Can I use foam and fibreboard underlay together?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I really need some advice as I'm a complete laminate novice. I'm laying some 8mm laminates on a wooden floorboards which are quite uneven. There are at least two dips I can feel underfoot beneath my carpet.

My question is can I lay the green fibreboard underlay then the foam one on top of that to kind of make the floor seem somewhat level?

The foam underlay I got was completely free so either I use it or bin it.

Sponsored Links
The best way to smooth the floor would be to 4mm hardboard or 6mm ply then just use the fibreboard. using the fibeboard and foam may result in too much movement of the floor creating squeaks and damaging joints etc.

It's something I've considered myself. If there's a load of foam underlay available, it seems illogical to bin it.
I would think that if it's stapled down thoroughly to prevent creep, it shouldn't present a problem, and surely is going to give an improved feel to the finished job.

Unless someone can tell me differently.

Sponsored Links
My professional advice is don't do it, the manufacturers advice will be don't do it, but if you know better (because stapling it down won't resolve the actual problem you will face) then go ahead and just do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back