Which chipboard + underlay +laminate combination is best?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm having a builder lay down some laminate for me and I wanted some advice interns of underlay and if additional sheets of chipboard would be necessary.

All the old carpet and underlay has been removed with just the original thin-ish floorboards left. The floorboards, while in decent condition aren't very pretty (it's a 1960s/70s built house) and there are a few loose/wonky ones.

Anyway, I was thinking of laying down chipboard to level out the floor, to guarantee stability, then lay this type of fibre underlay on top:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/wood-fibre-underlay-boards-7m/7824r#product_additional_details_container

On top of that I intend to lay my 12mm laminate flooring. Is this overkill?
The floorboards aren't too bad, and I figure hammering them down should keep and un-evenness/movement to an absolute minimum.

Which of theses options does in make most sense to go with :
1) 18mm chipboard + simple foam underlay +12mm laminate
2) 5.5mm fibreboard underlay + 12mm laminate
3) 18mm chipboard + 5.5mm fibreboard + 12mm laminate

The ares to be boarded are all bedrooms.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Try 6 or 9mm ply screwed down with 20mm screws, then fibreboard, followed by the laminate. Make sure there are no services under the loose floorboards before you stick a nail (or screw) in.

Try 6 or 9mm ply screwed down with 20mm screws, then fibreboard, followed by the laminate. Make sure there are no services under the loose floorboards before you stick a nail (or screw) in.
Thanks for the advice. I was going to lay chipboard instead of ply for cost reasons. Why do you recommend 6-9mm ply? Would an equivalent thickness of chipboard be enough?

It depends on what you're after. Ply is used to level an uneven floor, or at least provide a better flat surface for the laminate, so don't require more than a thin layer. If the floorboards are secured down, then I suspect they shouldn't require reinforcing with chipboard. You'll need to take about 25mm off of the bottom of the doors with the ply, but 35+ is you use chipboard, and that's not unmanageable, but it still a lot.

Sponsored Links
Putting 18mm chipboard down won't level the floor? It will make it flat but will be same level.
I'd go 6mm plywood then use fibre levelling compound to get levels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back