Q. Do I need a Dpm when laying solid oak on chipboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Laying 18mm solid oak floating method on top of fibreboard underlay on a ground floor house chipboard floor

Should I have a Dpm as well.?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How long are your 18mm boards? If random - say for instance between 300 - 1200mm and there are (too) many 300mm or 400mm boards - you should not install a floor like this floating but fully bonded with flexible adhesive.
Now, chipboard - with its moist repellent surface - does not hold any of the modern adhesive.
So.... you've got a problem.

If all long lengths: NEVER USE A DPM ON SHEET MATERIAL, like chipboard or plywood or even existing floorboards.

The flooring is being delivered today, but apparently they do contain some shorter lengths

On the front of the pack it does say its suitable for floating floor installation, so as I have over ordered and plan to keep short plank use to a minimum and return those ones

As you rightly pointed out due to chipboard subbase my options are limited so have to fit as floating, but thanks for the pointer about not using a Dpm

Also, should I fit cork expansion strips around the whole length of the expansion gap or only at certain points, these gaps are being covered by skirting

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No cork at all??? Well I suppose you guys are the experts that's why I'm here for your advice thanks

If the packs do contain smaller bits am I ok to use a few here and there ?otherwise it's gonna be a real struggle to get enough coverage if I leave them all out as only brought a few extra boxes

Also the last question, I read I should separate rooms with bars rather than laying straight through, is this correct

And I plan to use wickes glue as down there's tomorrow unless you can recommend a better brand in screwfix or Bnq

Cheers for the info

Try to use the shorter ones at the end of the odd row - making sure you're not left with all short ones there.
Using too many short ones in the middle of the floor creates too many joints, working as hinges.

We always advice to treat every room as a separate entity and use thresholds in between.

Any decent PVAc wood-glue will do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back