do I need a dpm... wood on concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
We are putting 18mm oak down on top of concrete flooring. we have the fibreboard underlay, but the pack instructions are suggesting a dpm between the concrete and underlay.
The concrete has been down for a number of years, one room 10yrs plus, the other over three years, so no moisture issues.
There is a DPM and insulation surrounding and beneath the concrete.

So the Q is, if the concrete is dry and no further moisture can seep into it, do I still need a dpm between the concrete and underlay. or are wickes try to get me to spend £75 unnecessarily.

Sponsored Links
With concrete of those ages and an intact DPM underneath you should have no problems without an additional DPM.

We do recommend to use an underlayment that does have a DPM - and why risk the manufacturers guarantee by "saving" £75 quid?

You would be better of returning the fibreboard to Wickes (7mm green plates?) which could result your floor ending feeling bouncy and replace it with a combi-underlayment (3mm foam with a DPM attached).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back