Can I use varnish or clear enamel to seal knots?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm trying to finish decorating my kitchen before Christmas...

Went up to B&Q yesterday (15 mile round trip) and got everything I needed.... :rolleyes:..except primer and knot sealant for a short length of new skirting....

Was going to thin some water based gloss as a primer(!!!) but have 2 knots to seal...

have some clear oil based varnish and some clear enamel ...would either of these work or do I really need to go all the way back???? Especially as I haven't got all the children's presents yet and the tree isn't up... :(

Sponsored Links
'fraid not, it wont work.
Knotting or Zinsser bin is the answer.

It really is a long way to go for 2 knots :eek: especially at this time of year. If it twas I... I would just paint it and at a later stage when and if the knots show through, get some Zin Bin and just touch them a couple of times with it and re-paint over the top.

Worry ye knot.

P.s just about anything will do as primer in this instance, thinned out.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - I kind of thought that would be the answer.... :(

I was clinging to the hope that someone would say one of them would do ..or that I could use something random (brandy butter ????) instead....

Good news that you think watered down paint will be ok for primer though - I thought that would be a bit dodgy...

Next time I'm in B&Q I'll pick some knot sealer (Z bins?) up...I have it on my thing to get list anyway - have a knot on door frame showing through that a previous owner did -obviously didn't look on the list before I went....

:rolleyes:

I love this site - just like phoning my dad....except I don't get the 'why didn't you do a proper list of everything you needed before you went ' lecture...

..Heres another tip Lusi - Buy your paint from a trade shop if you can or if you have to buy from B&Q stick to Crown or Dulux at least theyre not qiute as thin as the B&Q 'own-brand' rubbish ;)

Unfortunately I bought B&Q brand paint....and when I was searching for a knot sealant substitute I found the tin of B&Q paint that I had already bought for this job and forgotten about..... :oops: (hears dad's disapproving voice in head)
(kitchen was fitted last April...just taken a little while to get round to decorating it....and of course I had already opened the new can so I can't take it back!)

But in 10 yrs when I have managed to get through it I'll bear that in mind...

And thanks again...

BTW -it is bit freaky when I see your user name - my initials are LJW...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back