Can I wire this LED Batten to a plug?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Can this LED batten be wired to a plug with a 3 amp fuse?

http://www.lyco.co.uk/deltech-20w-cool-white-led-batten-2ft.html

IMG_20160203_173136261_zpsajaulpey.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, very easily. It even has a cable gland fitted to provide strain relief. From the electrical loading point of view 0.5mm2 3 core round flexible cable would be adequate with a 3A fuse but you might find that it is physically too small to be gripped by the cable gland, you'd probably be better off with 1.0mm or more.

Interesting that the fitting has the symbol for double insulation and has what appears to be an earth connection from the terminal block into the unit.

Interesting that the fitting has the symbol for double insulation and has what appears to be an earth connection from the terminal block into the unit.
Yes, it's interesting, but I've never really understood many people's blanket belief that Class II items "must not have a connection to earth". If everything has "double or reinforced insulation" (and particularly, as is probably the case with this item, there are no exposed-conductive parts), I see no reason why there cannot be an earth connection within it (maybe needed for filtering?).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Misinterpretation of "Doesn't require an earth" to mean "Mustn't have an earth" perhaps
That would be understandable, but a genuine "must not" belief seems very widespread, and IIRC appears in the MIs for some Class II items.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back