Batten holders questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I would like to place 2 batten holders in the loft which are then connected to a single plug that I can plug into a socket in the hall when required.

Would these batten holders be suitable http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ele...Batten+Ceiling+Rose+Angled/d190/sd2633/p36209

What size cable do I require 1.5mm or 2.5mm also twin and earth or 3 core flex?
I also guess a 13amp fused plug is correct?

Regarding the wiring. I was going to wire the plug to the first batten holder and then take a spur off each connection in the batten holder to the other batten holder.

Also would the cable be ok to use to take a spur off an existing Fluorescent Tube to a second one in the garage.

Sorry for all the questions

Thanks MJ

Sponsored Links
Hi J4rman,

These batten lampholders are fine for the job that you require, I've done a similar job like this in the past! :D

You could use 3 core flex to do the job with, in regards to the gauge, use 1.5mm2 3 core flex, it would be a lot easier to terminate in the plug with a 3 amp fuse, 13 amp would be too much.

The wiring configuration that you have chosen is correct :D

But remember to use some clips for the wiring in the loft to clip it to the rafters, to keep it neat and out of your way when working up there! :D.

As regards to the fluorescent tube in the garage, I'm not sure on that one, sorry :cry:

Kind Regards,

Andrew (amjmfareham)

I did a similar job.

I used 1.5mm or 1mm twin and earth between the lamp holders and flex to go to the plug. I fitted a 3A fuse.

Sponsored Links
I would suggest that, for two batten holders, the maximum (combined) loading would be no more than 200w, and therefore 0.75 sq.mm (or even 0.5!) could be used, provided, of course, a 3A fuse is fitted in the plug.

IIRC the max. permitted load on a bayonet cap lampholder is 200w. This dates back to the days of BS546 and two-pin sockets!

Thanks all for the advice.

Got all the parts yesterday and fitted 2 lights in the loft today with no problems at all. I went for 3 core flex 1.5mm in the end so that I can use it for other stuff as well.

Thanks again

Mark

That's OK Mark, Anytime :)

By the way, did you use Toolstation or not in the end and what branch was it? I live near the Fareham Branch and as your from Hampshire, That's why I am asking :?:.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back