Grid switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I have a client that wants a grid switch installed in an outbuilding for a light. It is a 2 gang switch with a fuse as it is fed from a socket. The cable from the socket to the fuse is 2.5mm twin and earth and also from the fuse to the light switch next to it. PVC conduit will run from the switch up to the ceiling where a batten holder will attach to a BESA box like this one http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Batten+Holder+T2/p46677 . The question is should the cable from the switch to the batten holder be flex or twin and earth and what size should it be?
Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Dear God, your working for money and don't know the answer to the question :rolleyes:

What fuse do you intend to fit?

That fuse limits the current to the switch and the light. So given that 1.0mm TE is the smallest TE and is rated at about 14 amp, what do you think the answer is?

Sponsored Links
This is just an odd job for a friend. So is the answer to use 1mm T+E from the switch and connect to the batten holder? I've only ever seen flex connected to a batten holder.

I am aware of all fuse ratings and what size twin and earth to use but i've only ever seen flex in a batten holder. Is T+E alright to connect from the grid switch through conduit and connect to the batten holder? Probably sounds silly but it's just my experience with them

I am aware of all fuse ratings and what size twin and earth to use but i've only ever seen flex in a batten holder.
Although my experience is fairly limited, I have to say that it is the opposite of yours - I think I've only even seen batten holders (in permanent situations) wired in T+E.

So, yes, T+E is fine. As has already been asked, what would make you concerned that it might not be appropriate (other than the fact that you've apparently never seen it)?

Kind Regards, John

I just wasn't sure if it was bad practice or not.
Anyway, thanks for all your helpful replies.

Assuming you do mean a battenholder, and NOT a lampholder, then twin and earth is the way to go.

Make sure you connect all earths together, and to use earth sleeving ov

WHY THE HELL AM I TELLING YOU ALL THIS???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back