Grid Fuse Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Replacing kitchen and changed to grid system (Nexus) Installed outlet for cooker hood going back to fuse module. Taken feed from back of socket to the module and on to outlet but fuse only has 2 terminals both marked L. So I have a live a neutral and an earth coming from the socket and the same from the outlet. The fuse is inbetween. What goes into both L terminals on the fuse holder. I thought just the lives (1 in each terminal) and connect the neutrals and earths with connectors but not sure now as an old MK holder for outside light has live in L1 and neutral in L2. The Nexus is only marked with 2 x L

Sponsored Links
Taken feed from back of socket to the module and on to outlet but fuse only has 2 terminals both marked L.
Of course.

So I have a live a neutral and an earth coming from the socket and the same from the outlet. The fuse is inbetween. What goes into both L terminals on the fuse holder. I thought just the lives (1 in each terminal) and connect the neutrals and earths with connectors
Correct. Bearing that in mind...

but not sure now as an old MK holder for outside light has live in L1 and neutral in L2.
What makes you think there is a neutral in L2?

What is a neutral?

Exactly.

Neutral is the name given to the conductor which completes the circuit from the load(light) back to the supply.
It is not a generic term for any Black or Blue wire.
Wires can be anything we want them to be; they do not know what colour they are.

upload_2019-9-8_13-52-35.png

Sponsored Links
00 what he said.gif
but being pedantic I would refer to the wire that links the switch to the light as Switched Live

...and Risteard will tell me that the neutral is also a live conductor, but one lesson at a time.

Pedanticism has no bounds ... what you are calling the 'live live' is, presumably, also 'switched', somewhere (i.e. not hard-wired directly to the generator) :)

Kind Regards, John

I'm not sure what you mean. Where is the generator in this thread? In the diagram I read this as permanent live to switch and then switched live. Am I missing something here? Happy birthday (belatedly)

I'm not sure what you mean. Where is the generator in this thread? In the diagram I read this as permanent live to switch and then switched live. Am I missing something here?
Yes, you're missing the pedanticism in what bernard wrote (and admitted) and the even greater pedanticism in what I wrote in response! ... i.e. if one is going to say that anything downstream of a 'switch' (of any sort) is a "switched live", then that is true of anything other than a direct connection gto the source (generator) :)
Happy birthday (belatedly)
Many thanks! I wasn't actually 'meant' to be born until 23/24 September - so, in some sense, it's not 'belated'!

Kind Regards, John

I see what you mean. Probably another dozen pages and the thread gets locked.
I wasn’t being serious. :)

Last edited:
I see what you mean. Probably another dozen pages and the thread gets locked.
That's really up to you. I posted my one, one-line (with an emoticon), 'humorous' comment, and thought that was the end of it. I was expecting no responses, and would have had no reason to say anything more had you (or someone) not 'picked me up' on it!

It sometimes helps to maintain a sense of humour :)

Kind Regards, John

I only asked a question. I was not picking you up on anything, or looking for a row. I updated my last post to show it was not serious. I have no intention of dragging the thread out. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back