Light switch for attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have just fitted 3 fluorescent 58w tubes in the loft and used 1mm 3 core wire to connect them up from a batten holder which is in a small room approx 1m square this has a ring 1.5 twin and earth going to it, The batten holder's life has ended so i am getting a new one for this small room

Anyway the batten holder and 3 tubes are switched from a 1 gang switch in the kids bedroom but i want to change the switch for a neon switch so that i can visually see if the lights are on in the loft or not (kids etc)

Can anyone recomend a suitable Neon switch for this the lowest switch i can find is 13A and 20A would one of these switches be ok.

Also i have not removed the switch yet but im guessing that i need positive and neutral to get the neon to work?? So will i have to run another cable down to it to get neutral ?

Whats the best way to tackle this lot please?

Cheers

Leigh

Sponsored Links
Why do you want the batten holder and loft lights to come on together ?

A double pole switch (usually 20A) requires a Line and Neutral in and the Line and Neutral out for the neon to work. (you could just take a Neutral to the N load terminal for it to work and switch the Line but it would be a bit unconventional)

The small room batten light only gets switched on really for loft access but does nothing to light up the loft itself there is a door there also so i suppose its safer for them all to stay on so that anyone using can see when using the ladder to come down.

I just thought that with kids they would mess about up there and leave the lights on if the switch was fitted in the loft. I thought the neon was a good idea thats all.

Any suggestions??

Cheers

Leigh

In that case then I would replace the twin and earth to the switch with a 3 core and earth. Taking a feed line, switch line and a neutral. Feed line into L in (or L supply), switched line into L out (or L load) and neutral into N out (or N load). Cpc also appropriately connected.

Sponsored Links
Ok thankyou for that

A new 3 core and E makes sense i can just pull it through hopefully using the old wiring to pull it, Is a 13A or 20A switch neon ok yea?

Cheers

Leigh

A 13A one will most probably be fused. A 20A one will just be a switch and neon. Use the 20A one to avoid un-necessary fusing.

souds like it might get a bit crowded in that batten holder.
When you get the new one, get the one with a base like a ceiling rose, easier to connect up.

Those work backwards from what you want.

They are illuminated when the switch is OFF, so you can find the switch in the dark.

I have a small neon at high level in my house to indicate if the loft light is on, rather than having to get a neutral to the switch.

Only when wired across the switch though.

To work as you want you can use L and N connection I presume.

The batten holder looks good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back