Wiring a light switch with a neon light

It wouldn't have done what he wanted:

I want the neon to come on when the light is switched on.
I wanted to replace the existing switch with this neon indicator switch to check if the loft light was left on.

Agreed, but I'd say spending five minutes fitting an indicator which glows when the loft light is off would have been simpler than rewiring to get a neutral to the switch. Although it was reversed, he'd still have an indicator that the loft light was on/off.

I'm not saying he's done anything wrong, just that he could have saved some effort.

Sponsored Links
A neon that glowed constantly when the loft light was off would drive me mad.

It looked like a stud wall, so swapping the two core for a three core, or doing whatever he ended up doing would be a doddle really.

If he couldn't drop a cable down, he could have put a neon on the ceiling by the hatch.

It used to be common to wire the loft light from the landing pendent, so the loft light would only work with the landing light on - just incase you forgot to switch it off.

I was called out to a house once where the downlights in the bedroom would glow faintly when turned off. They had left their loft light on, and the light was shining through the backs of the lamps!

I've got a neon near the ceiling for the loft light. It's not in your face, but you do notice it if it's on.

69727b33.jpg

IIRC those locators can't be seen very well in daylight.

If ever I doubt that I turned it off I find it easy enough to open the hatch a gnats and see.

Mind you - I've not yet installed the 7 x 400W Xenophots in series yet. Maybe if I ever do I'll be able to see the glow through the closed hatch :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
What u doing up there that needs so much discharge lighting BAS? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back