Can LEDs Damage MR16 Fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Might be a stupid question

Fitted some low voltage LED lamps to existing bathroom spotlights about 8 months ago

All seemed fine however sometimes had a slight flickering with them

Anyway 1 by 1 the LED lights are going out - 2 recently and today a third has gone out

The bathroom is getting quite dark!!!

Anyway tried replacing with first two lamps that went with the original 50 watt MR16 but nothing - no light at all

Whats gone wrong here - any ideas anyone

I "think" the original MR16s had a transfomer on them all - not sure though if thats anything to go by - will have to go into attic to take a photo

Any help or advice would be appreciated - whats best to go for in a bathroom situation - mr16-gu10s etc

Thanks for any input or direction

Sponsored Links
Fitted some low voltage LED lamps to existing bathroom spotlights about 8 months ago
Do you actually mean low voltage, or extra low voltage?

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:voltage-bands

I "think" the original MR16s had a transfomer on them all
What voltage are/were the halogen and LED lamps? It'll say on them.

What type of base did they have?

Any help or advice would be appreciated - whats best to go for in a bathroom situation - mr16-gu10s etc
Fisrtly, those two characteristics of lamps are not related in any mutually exclusive way.

GU10 is the type of base, MR16 is the type of envelope. Nearly all GU10 base lamps have MR16 envelopes (you can get MR11 ones, but they are uncommon). Most lamps with MR16 envelopes have either GU10 or GU5.3 bases.

You wouldn't say that a GLS lamp must have a BC base, and a lamp with a BC base must be a GLS and one with an ES base cannot be.

LV MR16 lamps will probably be available for longer than ELV ones.

Or maybe not.

http://www.luxmagazine.co.uk/2012/02/low-voltage-halogen-lamps-set-to-be-banned-from-next-year/ (be aware that they incorrectly use the term "low voltage" to refer to 12V lights).

Secondly"nothing like that" is the reality. Those little 2" diameter lamps were originally made for film projectors (which needed a narrow beam of light) and were then adopted by retailers for display lighting (where they needed a narrow beam of light to pick out individual items). Then they were enthusiastically adopted by everyone to do something which they were explicitly designed to not do, i.e. light up rooms, for which you do not want a narrow beam of light.

If you have any redecorating opportunities coming up, consider replacing them. Holes in bathroom ceilings are a bad idea anyway, as warm moist air gets into the loft and condenses, and that can, and does, cause roof timbers to rot.

Original halogen lamps were 50w each

Replaced these with 9w (total) 3x3watt led in each bulb

Both had mr16 base (like this) with just two prongs

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=mr16&rh=i:aps,k:mr16

Doubt if Ill replace for a long time tbh - they are suitable for my needs for a bath room and have a vapour resitant loft cap sealed to moisture which is building reg approved - so for now they will have to stay at least for a bit

All I know is that they have some sort of box attached to them in the attic

similar to

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=mr16&rh=i:aps,k:mr16

Replaced these with 9w (total) 3x3watt led in each bulb
Was that over the minimum which the transformer(s) needed?

Both had mr16 base (like this) with just two prongs

MR16 is the type of envelope.
Most lamps with MR16 envelopes have either GU10 or GU5.3 bases.
Yours have GU5.3 bases

have a vapour resitant loft cap sealed to moisture which is building reg approved
OK - that's what you need.

Sponsored Links
Managed to get up the attic today to see what transformers are on these bathroom lights

I could explain but I think a photo would be best

Not sure what any of that means but am I right in thinking that the bulb to be used with this transformer should be in the range of 20-60w??

Hence my 9w total led lights didnt match up - hence ive worn out the transformer maybe

Would one of these perhaps be better suited

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTYT50.html

0 t0 50watt range

Thanks for any input and your time

Now also spotted a damn leak in the roof - rafters are a bit wet today - more money!!! Hope its just the chimney flashing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back