LED GU10

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking to replace the GU10 50w lamps in my garden lights, the set up consists of 6 240v spike lights (each 50W) and a 12 volt mr16 above the front door.

The lamps I am looking at are 4w which state an equivalent of 35w, as the lamps are quite expensive I am planning to replace them in stages.

My question is can I mix and match the regular lamps with the new LEDs? I am looking at replacing 2 at a time. (The 12 volt mr16 over the door will remain in place)

Also the lamp holders are quite small ( the new LED's look the same dimensions as the regular mr16 lamps) will this confined space cause any heat issues with the LED's?

Sponsored Links
My question is can I mix and match the regular lamps with the new LEDs?
Yes.

the new LED's look the same dimensions as the regular mr16 lamps
Yup - GU10 lamps often have MR16 envelopes.

will this confined space cause any heat issues with the LED's?
You need to check with the makers of the lamps - as you say, they are expensive, so you don't want to damage them. LED lamps produce very little heat, but they are very intolerant of it. You really must find out if it will be OK to use those lamps inside the sealed luminaires you have.

The GU10 lamps likely 230 volt the GU10 refers to pins but normally they are 230 volt so straight swap.

The MR16 normally 12 volt AC although not limited to that and with 12 volt inverters (often called transformers) there is a min as well as max output watts/amps you will need to check the inverter for min value.

Also LED the D stands for diode and a diode connected to an inductance can transmit RF so again one has to be careful it could for example block out DAB radio or more worrying Ambulance, Police, Fire, and Taxi radios. So it's a case of read manufactures data sheets.

The GU10 lamps likely 230 volt the GU10 refers to pins but normally they are 230 volt so straight swap.
There was somebody here a few weeks ago who claimed he had some 12V GU10 LEDs, but never provided any proof that he was anything other than completely wrong.

The MR16 normally 12 volt AC although not limited to that
MR16 refers to the envelope, not the base, and certainly not the voltage.

Nearly all GU10-based lamps have MR16 envelopes, although you can get MR11:

53uiul1.jpg

You can get MR16 lamps with either a GU10 or a GX5.3 base:

800pxmrvariations.jpg

and with 12 volt inverters (often called transformers) there is a min as well as max output watts/amps you will need to check the inverter for min value.
He's not planning to replace the ELV one.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the help :)

I purchased two lamps yesterday and fitted one, pleasantly surprised to see how bright the new LED lamp is. I've read a few things on how LED's never really live up to their stated equivalent output but these have really impressed me.

The spike light itself is completely cool to the touch which is great as previously they have gotten extremely hot which always concerned me.

Going to run them for a couple of weeks to see if there any issues with running them in a sealed unit before purchasing any more, but so far so good :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back