GU5.3 12v or 240v - how to identfy

Years ago having problem with a machine I was working with had a electronic problem with a solenoid.

To rectify the fault, a diode had to be fitted to stop reverse polarity.

Would this be of help where a ac transformer is being used, to help with my problem.

Sponsored Links
Years ago having problem with a machine I was working with had a electronic problem with a solenoid. To rectify the fault, a diode had to be fitted to stop reverse polarity.
Would this be of help where a ac transformer is being used, to help with my problem.
No, that's not relevant to an AC situation. 650Hz AC "reverses polarity" 100 times per second!

Kind Regards, John
Edit: typo corrected!

Last edited:
Im sure i read somewhere, transformers dont like too many leds, regardless of them being within the 20-60 watt range

Sponsored Links
Im sure i read somewhere, transformers dont like too many leds, regardless of them being within the 20-60 watt range
I'm actually getting a bit confused, maybe by confusing different threads. I thought we had established that these were 'real' (wirewound) transformers, in which case I would find it very hard to believe that they "didn't like too many LEDs" (or any other particular loads). However, as you say, the OP has recently mentioned "20-60W" which suggests that there are not wirewound transformers - and if they are actually SMPSUs, then anything is possible!

utterlydiy: what do these 'transformers' describe themselves as? Any chance of a photo of one of them?

Kind Regards, John

I'm actually getting a bit confused, maybe by confusing different threads. I thought we had established that these were 'real' (wirewound) transformers, in which case I would find it very hard to believe that they "didn't like too many LEDs" (or any other particular loads). However, as you say, the OP has recently mentioned "20-60W" which suggests that there are not wirewound transformers - and if they are actually SMPSUs, then anything is possible!

utterlydiy: what do these 'transformers' describe themselves as? Any chance of a photo of one of them?

Kind Regards, John

Im sure he said earlier, something like all 6 are within the 20-60 ranges, so i assume its a smps, your beginning to sound like winston, its rare now for anyone to have wirewound transformers for lighting, they seem only available for wire track and anything under 200w is rare now

Im sure he said earlier, something like all 6 are within the 20-60 ranges, so i assume its a smps, your beginning to sound like winston, its rare now for anyone to have wirewound transformers for lighting, they seem only available for wire track and anything under 200w is rare now
Yes, you're probably right. I think what's confusing me is a recent thread about Christmas tree lights. Someone pointed out that (for whatever reason) they usually have wirewound transformers, and I have to confess that having just examined the weights of several (walwart) ones I have here, that does indeed seem to be probably correct.

Back of topic, if they are SMPSUs, then I think what you said is quite credible. How they behave when connected to multiple LEDs will presumably be very dependent on what current-controlling electronics in the "LEDs" they encounter.

Kind Regards, John

All transformers are wirewound. It is clear that the OP does not have transformers but SMPSUs which are designed for halogen lights not LEDs.

Two choices change the SMPSUs for LED drivers or use 240v LEDs and change the fittings to GU10.

thanks,

So if I had a 30w (2.5A) led driver, would that solve the problem lighting 6 leds.

Last edited:
So if I had a 30w (2.5A) led driver, would that solve the problem lighting 6 leds.
30W would obviously be cutting things very fine.

If it were a 'constant-voltage' LED driver, then it might solve the problem. However, as has been said here, and as is being discussed in other current threads here, unlike true transformers, switched-mode 'LED drivers' can be quite odd/fussy things, and (coupled with variability as to what is within the 'innards' of LED lamps) there is always the possibility that a given one of them will be unhappy supplying a number of LED lamps of a particular make/type.

The whole field is a potential nightmare. The only totally safe approach is to use driver(s) which have been produced specifically to feed a particular number of a particular type of lamp. If that is not possible, then there is inevitably a degree of potential 'trial and error' involved.

Sorry if that does not help you too much!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back