MR16/GU5.3 12v LED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ho Ho Ho one and all,

Getting my knickers is a twist regarding replacing a garage light.

I have a Hormann garage door, operated by a remote transmitter. When the door opens or closes, an MR16/GU5.3 12v 35w halogen light fires up for a default time of around 3 minutes. Unfortunately, it has given up the ghost and needs replacing.

It would be nice to replace with an LED, principally because I don't like the spot-light and a wider beam would be nice. But that does not seem to be possible as most LED lights require a specific driver or mains 240v. Since the electronics in the motor housing give out 12v, my guess is that a 12v LED will not work. Is that the case or not?

I don't want anything complex, just a straight swap but it is becoming an challenge.

Grateful for any suggestions or advice.

Thanks and toodle pip

Sponsored Links
LED G5.3 MR16 lamps come as 10 - 30 volt DC designed for boats and caravans, and 12 volt 50 Hz designed for toroidal transformers, however it seems likely the 50 Hz is to stop one using them with electronic transformers for two reasons.
1) The electronic transformer often has a minimum output and the current draw with an LED is too low.
2) The electronic transformer is often in the kHz range and adding a diode could make it work as a transmitter.
As to 2) it runs for such a short time I would not really worry about it, and as to 1) I would hope there would be some info on how the light gets its 12 volt power, if part of the general power supply to the door then likely it will still work when only supplying low wattage.

Low wattages LED's are around £1.50 so I would just risk it and try one from the likes of tool station, if a cheap one works then maybe latter use one with higher output, I tried looking for a manual but it had 2 x 120 volt bulbs so clearly not the same as yours, I am sure it says some thing in manual or on the unit about what bulbs can be used.

I have a Hormann garage door, operated by a remote transmitter. When the door opens or closes, an MR16/GU5.3 12v 35w halogen light fires up for a default time of around 3 minutes. Unfortunately, it has given up the ghost and needs replacing.
What do Hormann say? surely every customer has this question, now that halogan lights are discontinued.

Good point and don't know. However, Hormann do not have a UK HQ; they only supply dealers who in turn, install the garage doors. I did call the local dealer and their response was to want to send someone around to assess what was needed and replace the bulb, for which they would invoice me.

I built the house; I installed the garage door myself; there is no way I am paying someone to change a light bulb!!!!

Sponsored Links
IMG_3646.jpeg

Google is a great place, have you tried it?

Thanks, did try Google (of course) but most site mention the need for an LED driver.

However, took the advice from above and bought a somewhat expensive (£6.87) LED from Screwfix, 60 degree bean angle and equivalent 40w.

Plugged it in and it works, so will stay with that.

Thanks for the assistance and have a Cool Yule!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back