Garage door light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ho Ho Ho one and all,

I have a Hormann garage door operator that when it opens / closes activates a 12v MR16 halogen spot light for a few minutes. The bulb has now stopped working and I would like to replace it with a wider beam angle LED.

Having difficulty finding a 12v MR16 LED but there are plenty of 240v around.

1/ If I can find a 12v light, can it just plug into the bulb holder or will I need to do something to the transformer?
2/ If I buy a 240v MR16 LED, can I just 'rewire' directly to the bulb holder to by-pass the transformer?

Thanks and toodle pip

Sponsored Links
Is it AC or DC? The DC bulbs are still used in caravans and boats. They are rated 10 - 30 volt, but not sure how they will work with AC. Seem to remember father in laws door was DC and had back up battery so you could still open it with power cut.

Sponsored Links
Apologies regarding difficulty in find them. Yes, there are plenty but I only want one, not packs of four, five or six. And where there is one listed, it does seem to be be rather expensive when compared with the packs of six.

Since the door is mains operated, I guess it is AC. But mu understanding is that one cannot just stick a 5W LED into a bulb holder that is intended for 35W, 12v halogen. Or am I missing something?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back