LED / MR16 bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What ho one and all,

Another LED question.

I have a wire light with 5 halogen MR16 bulbs, of course, running via a transformer. I would like to replace with LED bulbs, but don't know it the replacements would run with the halogen transformer.

Is there anything special that i should be doing or will a direct replacement be hunky dory?

Thanks and toodle pip

Rex

Sponsored Links
I have a wire light with 5 halogen MR16 bulbs, of course, running via a transformer.

No ‘of course’ about it. MR16 is the size of the lamp not the voltage or the base. Many 240v GU10 lamps are MR16.
[QUOTE="Rekusu, post: 4547942, member: 138858”] I would like to replace with LED bulbs, but don't know if the replacements would run with the halogen transformer.

[/QUOTE]

LED lamps that replace 12v spotlights are designed for DC or 50/60 Hz AC. I suspect what you are referring to as a halogen transformer is actually a switch mode power supply running at tens of kilohertz so unsuitable. As well as the wrong frequency it will problem have a minimum load requirement which won’t be met with LEDs. Result will be flickering and possible damage. You need a so called LED driver.

This question, or similar, crops every few days. Have a look though similar threads.

Time a wiki was made about this I think.

Wire light halogens usually are supplied from a Toroidal transformer as if supplied from an Electronic Transformer, due to the wire length they cannot make them to conform to EMC standards.
In many cases the 12 volt Mr16 Retrofit Led replacement lamps should run fine on a Toroidal, often better than on an Electronic Transformer, but in reality its best to try one first on its own with no halogens in.
If the wire tracks also through a dimmer then that can cause more issues

Sponsored Links
Hi, i have use philips MR16 LED's as direct replacements for halogen with no issues.

John

Are these 240v MR16s or 12v?

I ask because there are many threads on here where people have changed 12v halogens to LED and had issues.

Since you say wire I would assume 12 volt with a toroidal transformer, as said MR16 refers to having a multifaceted reflector 16/8" across so very few LED lamps are truly MR16 and also yes many so called transformers are much more than a simple transformers.

So a real transformer is heavy, but a switch mode power supply is a lot lighter, as said more likely a real transformer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back