LED MR16 bulbs

At random I selected an advert this one is for 5 LED MR16 lamps I have read and re-read the advert. No where does it state the voltage, never mind if AC or DC. It clearly does not have a multifaceted reflector yet calls than MR16 not MR16 compatible. It says the connection is GU5.3 I am sure it is actually G5.3.

OK question and answer does state it is 12 volt and can be fitted either way around. However that is some one trying to be helpful is may not be correct. At around 70 lumen per watt these are not very good on energy saving. However £19 for 5 is quite cheap.

Looking at a 180 lumen lamp which has all details the price is £9 each. It states 10 ~ 30 volt DC. Which would clearly need a new power supply. Lower output and twice the price and is down to 60 lumen per watt.

This Amazon advert does state 12VAC/DC it even gives the angle of beam. But the problem is it is really a suck it and see, no one seems to tell you the real spec on the lamp. Buying for Tesco or Asda is great, if it does not work you take it back. But selling a lamp without stating voltage does seem a bit off.

This one is 220 volt so it is not as if all G5.3 lamps are 12 volt. As to finding a lamp holder which is G5.3 and rated 220 volt well that is something else.

Sponsored Links
afaik, putting aside dimming which is more complex, most of the 12 volt mr16 lamps are desighned to run off AC transformers which you have, some of these transformers have a minimum load and this causes issues, some lamps claim to bypass the minimum load issue, but in reality they also have issues.
Some made up light fittings and led strip stuff are desighned to run off drivers these tend to be DC

It appears your lamps worked on the AC but not on the DC

You need to check the lamp spec to see if requires AC or DC

Good lamp makers are now testing there lamps with certain transformers that they recomend as it seems the only way they can honor any warranty, due to issues.

I wouldrecomend buying a fitting package, this is complete with lamp built in and compatible driver, cost not much more, compared with just a lamp and the time you have spent faffing about
Its doesnt

Do I have to change every transformer to a led transformer ?
From the site you bought these from:

screenshot_901.jpg

screenshot_902.jpg

Am I doing something wrong or are they just cheap lamps ?
Let's have a think....

screenshot_903.jpg

Oh dear.

Sponsored Links
MR16 = Multifaceted reflector 16/8" across i.e. 2 inches it has nothing to do with voltage or connection type G5.3 means the pins are 5.3 mm apart, GU10 means it is a bayonet connection with pins 10 mm apart and has nothing to do with voltage.

However it is normal for a GU10 to be 230 volt A.C. when sold in the UK, and MR16 is used a lot to label 12 volt G5.3 pin lamps even if a GU10 is still technically a MR16 as well.

Reading the web site one has to ask if the seller does not know what MR16, GU10 or G5.3 refers to what do they know? However the statement:-
If you use MR 16 in your Halogen transformer, the bulbs would burn out. normally the driver of halogen bulbs are AC 11-13V, BUT MR16 led bulbs need DC 12V driver. If you use MR16 to replace your halogen bulb , please use the following driver.
Leaves little ambiguity that these lamps need a DC supply.

MR16 = Multifaceted reflector 16/8" across i.e. 2 inches it has nothing to do with voltage or connection type G5.3 means the pins are 5.3 mm apart, GU10 means it is a bayonet connection with pins 10 mm apart and has nothing to do with voltage.

However it is normal for a GU10 to be 230 volt A.C. when sold in the UK, and MR16 is used a lot to label 12 volt G5.3 pin lamps even if a GU10 is still technically a MR16 as well.

Reading the web site one has to ask if the seller does not know what MR16, GU10 or G5.3 refers to what do they know? However the statement:-
If you use MR 16 in your Halogen transformer, the bulbs would burn out. normally the driver of halogen bulbs are AC 11-13V, BUT MR16 led bulbs need DC 12V driver. If you use MR16 to replace your halogen bulb , please use the following driver.
Leaves little ambiguity that these lamps need a DC supply.
Exactly but they do not work on DC supply.

It does seem strange that a device which can be inserted either way around would not have something to correct polarity so it does not matter which way around. However 12 volt RMS is not the same as 12 volt peak and supplying a device with 16 volt peak when it is designed for 12 volt is likely to cause damage.

But page one of advert asks you to select socket, there are two options GU10 and MR16 the fact MR16 is not a socket straight away tells you they have not a clue what they are selling. I would guess the designed of the web page is not the same company to one selling the lamps.

I remember in the early days how web site designers would allow one to alter the site may be just 6 times a year. It was common for firms to employ web page designers who in real terms did not a a clue about the items on the page. In fact I got into trouble for suggesting the page should be up dated in house.

I will try option one and buy 2 12v DC power supply off ebay at £3.49 each.
Maybe the problem is that those manky little power supplies are faulty, or don't do what they say. Maybe they need a larger load than an LED to work.

Maybe the problem is that you knackered the lamps by putting them on halogen supplies which you were told not to do.

You are probably past the point where you could have got a refund.

Chuck all the cheap and nasty Chinese rubbish you have bought off eBay in the bin, stop expecting cheap and nasty Chinese rubbish off eBay to be any good, and buy decent products from a reputable manufacturer.

I will try option one and buy 2 12v DC power supply off ebay at £3.49 each.
Maybe the problem is that those manky little power supplies are faulty, or don't do what they say. Maybe they need a larger load than an LED to work.

Maybe the problem is that you knackered the lamps by putting them on halogen supplies which you were told not to do.

You are probably past the point where you could have got a refund.

Chuck all the cheap and nasty Chinese rubbish you have bought off eBay in the bin, stop expecting cheap and nasty Chinese rubbish off eBay to be any good, and buy decent products from a reputable manufacturer.

Cant remember getting told not to put them on the halogen supplies , i can remember getting told if they are working then leave them but I might be wrong.

Thinking of just starting fresh but going down the route of now transformer. Can I just but new lamp holders and new GU10 LED bulbs ?

Can anyone recommend a decent bulb I shouldnt have messing with ?

Thanks

I would bin the lot - literally strip it back to the cables, and fit these. £14+vat. Reputable brand, no external driver and best of all, push fit connectors on the top for two cables which also doubles up as an insulation guard so you can insulate over them.

You literally cannot go wrong, although you do have to buy the bezel separately - but good if you change your mind often

Think you can even get them from Toolstation now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back