Replace 12V 50W MR16 halogen bulbs with 240V 5W GU10 LED

Lampholer means just the bit where the lamp plugs in.

Your challenge will be to get two conductors in to a space that is only really big enough, and designed, for only a single conductor.
Strictly speaking the whole cable and its conductors should be fully enclosed within the black enclosure where the terminal strip is. Also, there's no termination for your earth conductors.
This is not unusual, but you'll have problems getting them all in and making it a reliable connection.

These are made to solve this issue.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLCT100C.html
you'll need one for each downlight.

EDIT: Poo, too slow…:cry:

Sponsored Links
Wiring just the two lampholder wires into a click connecter would be no good if the fitting needed to be earthed

Though looking at the label, there claiming the whole fitting is Double insulated by the look of it, and if thats the case then the earth can be parked in the click connecter as suggested

I'd like to use a click connector... but they are just to bulky to fit in the space.
It's the same reason why I had to use this kind of fittings rather than fire rated ones.

At the end of the day all the wires fit in the terminals... Only thing I would do is to put some sort of crimp-on cap on the earth wire.

IMG_0710.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
They do not fit neatly, that is rough, the outer white sheath should also be within the enclosure.
The point of the j/b or click connecter is to reduce down to a single flex which will fit neatly in the black housing, the j/b goes in the ceiling void prior to fitting the light fitting, there is room where the transformer used to be.

What is the point of my giving you advice if it is ignored??
the whole cable and its conductors should be fully enclosed within the black enclosure where the terminal strip is. Also, there's no termination for your earth conductors.
This is not unusual, but you'll have problems getting them all in and making it a reliable connection.

These are made to solve this issue.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLCT100C.html
you'll need one for each downlight.

And they are not
just to bulky to fit in the space.

Sorry... I didn't mean to ignore your advice guys...

Trust me... I've already seen those connectors, usually on fire rated Aurora fittings. They are too bulky and I would have to fight to make them fit in the ceiling... Is there anything smaller that I can use instead?

After you have done this change over to LED bulbs, could you please let us know how did you find the LED lighting compared to the old halogen lighting, apparently someone had his changed and he noticed shadows being more prominent and not diffused, which he said was the annoying bit about LED lighting. I bought a table lamp LED bulb to try out and noticed that the shadows were real problem, it is like the shadow of anything in the path of the light would get projected across the walls and ceiling, and focused with sharp outline, can be annoying, unless the LED light had a diffused cover or a lense, which then reduces the light intensity.

Trust me... I've already seen those connectors, usually on fire rated Aurora fittings. They are too bulky and I would have to fight to make them fit in the ceiling... Is there anything smaller that I can use instead?
I just do not understand where you are coming from. Those Click connectors are about a third of the size of the transformers that you are replacing. If there is room for the transformers then you will have plenty of space for a Clickflow.

After you have done this change over to LED bulbs, could you please let us know how did you find the LED lighting compared to the old halogen lighting, apparently someone had his changed and he noticed shadows being more prominent and not diffused, which he said was the annoying bit about LED lighting. I bought a table lamp LED bulb to try out and noticed that the shadows were real problem, it is like the shadow of anything in the path of the light would get projected across the walls and ceiling, and focused with sharp outline, can be annoying, unless the LED light had a diffused cover or a lense, which then reduces the light intensity.
I've found the opposite!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back