Replacing Halogens with LED alternatives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 9 x 50w 12v halogens in my place and wondered about the possibility of replacing them with a more energy efficient LED version.

Here are the lamps. I currently use http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lig...en+Lamp+MR16+50w+10+8000cd/d220/sd3278/p17461

First question is will an LED alternative be as bright as these? I've tried the lower wattage in the kitchen in the past and frankly it's awful and not light enough.

Secondly the LED seem bloody expensive at around £20 a pop here. http://www.energybulbs.co.uk/led+light+bulbs/mr16+led+bulbs/high+output+mr16+leds

Is this right or am I looking in the wrong place?

I'm a total beginner on all electrics so apologies if any of that is blindingly obvious

Sponsored Links
You need to be looking for about 7 to 8 watts to replicate the brightness of a 50W halogen lamp.

£20 is maybe a little on the high side, but not too far off the mark. Remember, they will pay for them selves in saved energy and saved relamping costs, and buy cheap, buy twice.

You want to be looking for lamps which consist of maybe 3 LED light sources. Stay away from lamps whit 20 or so little LEDs.

I always recommend warm white LEDs, as they are the closest light to normal lightbulbs.

You may find that LEDs won't work with your existing transformers. If this is the case, you'll need to replace them with dedicated LED drivers, or better still, reconfigure the fittings to be mains powered, and buy mains powered lamps which don't require a seperate driver.

I agree with RF, don't go for the dirt cheap option.

In our kitchen we have 2 light fittings, each with 4 GU10 lamps. Not my choice but that's what the kitchen designer (i.e the wife) landed home with.

I changed a couple of the lamps with Philips LED's and there was no loss of light intensity/quality that I or the wife could notice so I went back and bought enough to do the lot throughout the house (kitchen plus 2 each in ensuite, bathroom and utility room).

Not cheap but in our house lights tend to accidentally get left on all day. Other makes and suppliers are available. Obviously you have 12V MR16's but I got ours from Wickes at £20 each normally but with a 3 for 2 offer, so £13 (ish) each.

Edit: After a google, I thought they were 6 Watts, but they must be these: http://www.wickes.co.uk/50w-gu10-philips-led-spot/invt/218990/

Sponsored Links
I have recently replaced a number of my MR16 12v low voltage lights (with transformer which burn out occasionally) with mains powered LED (four LED in each lamp) and I am really pleased with the lamps.

I am not sure if they will save me any money I hope so but I now prefer LED over the halogen!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back