GU10 LED lamp on 12V Driver Transformer possibility

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you use a GU10 LED lamp with a 12V LED driver transformer rather than LED MR16 Bulbs?

Reason being, I like the connection of the twist on GU10s to the MR16s dodgy push connection. As some of you may be aware that the pins and holder can sometimes be tempremental.

I know the GU10s have a built in tranny, so would need one without if indeed my thinking is correct!

If so does anyone have a link to these type of lamps please?

Regards
Paul

Sponsored Links
GU10 refers I think to the connection, MR16 refers to the reflector, So you can get a GU10 MR16 bulb neither refers to the voltage. So Google 12 volt GU10 and you get This Amazon listing for a 12 volt GU10 bulb.

Where the problem lies is it is then easy to fit a 12 volt bulb in a 230 volt holder. We had similar problems at work so we standardised to using E27 for 110 volt bulbs and B22d for 230 volt bulbs. But of course we could have done the reverse.

The regulations do say SELV sockets should be different to low voltage sockets within the same building and so if you have no GU10 230 volt not a problem but even if you have one 230 volt GU10 then really not a good idea.

Thanks, but your link shows 12V GU10 Halogen, whereas I wanted to know if you could get a 12V GU10 LED without inbuilt tranny.

Because the GU10 Lamp I think is predominantly for 240v mains, as it has it's own transformer built into the lamp

I can get an MR16 12V LED lamp, that needs a separate specific transformer but I don't like the temperamental 2 pin push arrangement. I would ideally like to have the former mentioned set-up but with the more sturdy GU10 twist type connection. But I suppose I'd need to get one without the built in transformer!

Sponsored Links
Just get rid of the driver/transformer and change the lampholder to GU10.

I could do it that way, it is simpler, but I definately want to use a separate tranny in my case thanks mate.

I suppose if it's not possible I'll have to go with the poxy push fits... :rolleyes:

[quote="pmc64";p="3215740"

Because the GU10 Lamp I think is predominantly for 240v mains, as it has it's own transformer built into the lamp

[/quote]

They don't have a built in transformer. They are designed for 240 volt, 120 volt, or even 12 volt.

If LEDs and 240 volt they usually have either a capacitive dropper or switch mode driver.

No one has come up with 12 volt LED GU10s so your choice is 240 volt GU10s or 12 volt push in types.

No one has come up with 12 volt LED GU10s so your choice is 240 volt GU10s or 12 volt push in types.[/quote]

Thanks John. I was referring to this type of lamp but without the inbuilt
"capacitive dropper or switch mode driver" (Thanks Winston)

I am using them above a counter top and want to put them on their own specific transformer.

To reiterate;

I could do it that way at present but with the MR16 push fit LED lamp.
But I like the connectivity of the GU10 twist fit better, but they all want
a mains feed without tranny because they have their own step down bits in the lamp itself.
So I suppose I'd need a 12V GU10 LED (without step down tech) that can work in conjunction with a separate 12v tranny.

Or what would happen if you put a 12v lamp (with step down) after a 12V tranny?

Hope that makes sense...Thanks...

:)

12V/240V, halogen/LED ....

All useless for lighting up rooms ....

No they are not. I've lit literally hundreds of rooms with them. Never had a single complaint that the lighting was useless or didn't work. Usually things like "oh that's much better" or "gosh it's nice and bright in here now"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back