LED Bulbs & TRansformers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would appreciate some advice please with regards to some GU10 LED Bulbs that I recently fitted.

Previously in my en-suite shower room I had two GU10 downlighters (halogen bulbs) and an integrated extractor fan & MR16 spotlight, similar or possibly identical to this - http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-shower-light-extractor-fan-kit-100mm/25652#. These were switched with a dimmer switch (o/s the room).

Recently I purchased two dimmable GU10 LED bulbs the same as this - http://www.simplyled.co.uk/shop-by/brand/nxtgen-led-lighting/gu10-led-eco.html

I fitted both bulbs and now only one of the GU10s illuminates (always the same one). The other GU10 and the MR16 (still halogen) does not but the fan still operates.

I did some research and discovered that it could either be the dimmer switch that was incompatible or that the transformer for the MR16 wasn't now hitting the minimum load.

I swapped out the dimmer switch for a normal one but nothing changed so I am assuming that I need to replace the transformer with an LED driver? Strangely I also replaced both LED GU10s with the original Halogen bulbs and found that the other GU10 now illuminated but the second one and the MR16 did not.

I had a look in the loft today. Basically there is a transformer connected to the MR16 light fitting, pic below

View media item 72607
This is connected to a connector box

View media item 72608
The wires out of the connector box are as follows - White one at top of pic to extractor, grey one at top of pic to transformer, white ones at bottom of pic - one goes to first GU10 (via another connector box) and second (I assume) connects to circuit.

After all this rambling my questions are -

Can I just replace the transformer with an LED driver and if so what would you recommend? or

Can I put another connector box in further back in the circuit and run one cable to the connector box in the pic and a second to the GU10s. The GU10s obviously don't need a transformer and if I separated the two sets of lights in this way would it stop the transformer affecting the GU10s? or

Have I got this totally wrong and it's something else that is affecting the lights? (Quite possible!!)

Any and all assistance gratefully appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
That is not a transformer you pictured. It is a switch mode power supply.

The GU10 lamps you replaced with LEDs are 240volt, right. Replacing these should not affect the 12v MR16 lamp or its switch mode power supply as its load has not changed. I would be looking for a broken connection somewhere probably initiated when you changed the GU 10 lamps.

Winston,

Thanks I'll check the GU10 lights a bit more closely. Can I ask though is it possible that a broken connection on one of the GU10s would affect the MR16 as well?

Sponsored Links
If the supply goes to the GU10 first then on to the MR16 a break at the GU10 connection could cause this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back