MR16s and GU10s LEDs on same dimmer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have changed some halogen MR16 pin downlight sockets to GU10 sockets, changed the dimmer to trailing edge and replaced the bulbs with dimmable LEDs. Above the shower is a light on the same circuit which has an MR16 socket which I cannot change over due to its design so I have left it as is and changed its transformer to a dimmable LED one. That light and the other 3 run off the same dimmer switch however they dim at different rates (bought the same W bulb with different pins).

Is there anything I can do about this? I cannot change the whole extractor light system without huge cost and effort and I've looked into it - you can't buy a GU10 socket extractor light fitting or a dimmable MR16 extractor light. Sometimes the MR16 doesn't come on until you turn the switch up to full and then dim it. It is also brighter than the other 3 GU10s!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated! [/list]

To clarify, all 4 halogen bulbs were on this same circuit with their own individual transformers and all dimmed together.

Sponsored Links
Just to help: MR16 means Multifaceted Reflector x eighths of inch.
Manufacturers don't know, either.
500px-MR-Variations.jpg

Left to right: MR16 with GU10 base, MR16 with GU5.3 base, MR11 with GU4 or GZ4 base

just for future ref

your 12volt push in lamps are proberly G5.3
ie 5.3mm between the two pins

Mr16 has no relation to the lampholder

It means the lamp is a 50 mm wide or 16 eights of an inch= 2 inch/50mm
Mr = Multi faceted Reflecter, ie the glass bit

Hi

I have changed some halogen MR16 pin downlight sockets to GU10 sockets, changed the dimmer to trailing edge and replaced the bulbs with dimmable LEDs. Above the shower is a light on the same circuit which has an MR16 socket which I cannot change over due to its design so I have left it as is and changed its transformer to a dimmable LED one. That light and the other 3 run off the same dimmer switch however they dim at different rates (bought the same W bulb with different pins).

Is there anything I can do about this? I cannot change the whole extractor light system without huge cost and effort and I've looked into it - you can't buy a GU10 socket extractor light fitting or a dimmable MR16 extractor light. Sometimes the MR16 doesn't come on until you turn the switch up to full and then dim it. It is also brighter than the other 3 GU10s!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated! [/list]

To clarify, all 4 halogen bulbs were on this same circuit with their own individual transformers and all dimmed together.

Put back your other 3 GU5.3 bases and fit the same LEDs in all 4. You may even be able to run all 4 off the new LED driver (it is not a transformer, manufacturers don't know this either) you have fitted.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back