Dimmable Lights

31 Mar 2006
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Got a customer who has asked me to replace some light bulbs for LED ones, they are on a dimmer, the lights are 4 x GU10 50watt and 1 x MR16 Low Voltage (in a fan light).
The way I see it I need to remove the fan from the set up on its own pullcord and power.
Change the dimmer switch to a trailing dimmer switch
Change the GU10 bulbs to a Dimmable LED
Chenge the MR16 bulb to a dimmable one and change the transformer to a dimmable driver.
Is that correct?
Do the dimmable drivers wire up the same as a transformer, not something i have done before.
thanks :LOL:
Sponsored Links
The drivers have an input (230volts) and an output to the LEDs.
From that point of view they are similar to the 12v transformer for 12v halogen lamps.

Your next step is to determine if the driver and the LEDs are compatible. Is it a constant current or constant voltage driver? Is that what is required by the LEDs? The wiring is different….

Now the dimmer. Just a "trailing edge" dimmer doesn't do it. You need a dimmer designed to work with the low wattage that the LEDs work at. Many dimmers do not work unless at least 40 or 60 watts is being driven. So you need a specific Lo-watt dimmer.
Something like these http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufacturers/Varilight/LEDlite_LED_Dimmers/index.html

Your LED lamp maker may well have a list of recommended dimmers.
meant a low wattage dimmer, just need to check the lamps really then for what driver to use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links