Help with dimmable led gu10

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi first time post and your help would be appreciated

I have 3 dimmable circuits in kitchen/utility room with mr16 halogen. Historically too many blown bulbs, transformer overheats etc.
Decided to try LED on one circuit. Visited local electric shop for advice. Very helpful.

Recommendation was to replace utility first (4 bulbs), change dimmer unit (1 of 3 on face plate) with LED compatible and remove transformers etc and replace with dimmable gu10 LEDs.

Fitted yesterday and all good

This morning switched light on, 3 of 4 flickering, when dimmer fully up 3 flickering go off. Tried adjusting + - screw on back of dimmer and makes no difference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Is it a green Aurora module that you fitted? That potentiometer can be a bit of a pain to set correctly.

As your lamps are 12v it's worth checking the transformer (switch mode power supply if we're being pedantic) is suitable for use with the dimmer. It may not be compatible, and that's where your issue lies.

If they're not suitable, you might be better off biting the bullet and just changing all of the fittings for 230v equivalents.

Edit. You've posted contradictory information, your title says GU10 and your post says MR16 (which generally refers to GU5.3). Which lamps do you have?

OK my understanding is:
You have replaced existing lamps for LED dimable
You have removed transformers and now using a 230/240V supply/lamp
You have changed dimmer plate to a low load dimmer compatibly with the LED load

now what about the drivers for the lamps?

hi first time post and your help would be appreciated

I have 3 dimmable circuits in kitchen/utility room with mr16 halogen.

You need to be more specific. MR 16 means multifaceted reflector 16/8 inch diameter. MR 16 lamps are available in 12v, 24v, 120v, 240v with either GU5.3, GU10, small ES, or possibly other bases.

Sponsored Links
Edit. You've posted contradictory information, your title says GU10 and your post says MR16 (which generally refers to GU5.3). Which lamps do you have?

Incorrect. MR16 refers to the size of the multifaceted reflector. And nothing to do with the base. Most GU10 halogens are in fact MR16.

Incorrect. MR16 refers to the size of the multifaceted reflector. And nothing to do with the base. Most GU10 halogens are in fact MR16.
I know that. Tell that to the hundreds of manufacturers that have used the term MR16 to refer to GU5.3 lamps for years.

OK my understanding is:
You have replaced existing lamps for LED dimable
You have removed transformers and now using a 230/240V supply/lamp
You have changed dimmer plate to a low load dimmer compatibly with the LED load

now what about the drivers for the lamps?
Well I should have read the entire post properly shouldn't I.

I'm guessing the dimmer module is incompatible/needs adjusting

I know that. Tell that to the hundreds of manufacturers that have used the term MR16 to refer to GU5.3 lamps for years.

There is no need to propagate the error here when you know it is wrong.

Sorry didn't mean to confuse, previous bulbs were 12 v gu5.3 50w with individual transformer.
New bulbs are British electric lamps 6w pro halo LED GU10
New dimmer - not sure of make - part no is KDM 250pl
Transformer removed. Lamp info online states no driver reqd
All components suggested by and purchased from electrical shop as compatible
Hope this clarifies thank you
There are no other new parts

Last edited:
Ok will re check all connections, although surprising that yesterday all worked OK

Sorry didn't mean to confuse, previous bulbs were 12 v gu5.3 50w with individual transformer.
New bulbs are British electric lamps 6w pro halo LED GU10
New dimmer - not sure of make - part no is KDM 250pl
Transformer removed. Lamp info online states no driver reqd
All components suggested by and purchased from electrical shop as compatible
Hope this clarifies thank you
There are no other new parts

You are confused. They are not transformers, but switch mode power supplies, see post 2.

You are confused. They are not transformers, but switch mode power supplies, see post 2.
He is right. He removed the transformer, which happens to be contained within the switch mode power supply.

There is no need to propagate the error here when you know it is wrong.
In the context of this thread, which, again, you have contributed nothing of any value to the OP. The importance was to determine which lamps he had, GU5.3 or GU10.

If you have an issue with the MR16 term like you do with the term transformers, take your soapbox to the manufacturers and (mostly) resellers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back