dimmable Gu10 bulb with non dimmable switch

ih

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
1.Is it OK to use ordinary non dimmable switch with dimmable Led Gu10 bulbs.
2.is it possible to get budget chrome dimmer switches with 0 minimum load(if not what min load can I get)
Max can b 250/400? if so pointer will be appreciated.
thanking in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi
My lighting circuit is 16amps kindly advise if I need 10amps switch or 20 amp ones.
thanking in advance
ih

Sponsored Links
Hi
sorry typo it should read 10amps
thanks

Be careful, your switches, bulb holders, etc... on the 10A circuit may only be rated up to 6 Amps.
But how much current is ever going to pass through a switch or lamp holder?

I'm sure there is a reasoning behind using a 10a breaker and not a 6 (hopefully it's not just 'that was all he had in the van')

• Thanks
Reactions: ih
I'm sure there is a reasoning behind using a 10a breaker and not a 6 (hopefully it's not just 'that was all he had in the van')
Although I'm no great fan of using a larger OPD than necessary (and that includes using a 3A fuse in a BS1363 plug when a 1A one would suffice!), if (as will usually be the case) one is confident that nothing on the circuit is capable of creating a sustained overload current >10A, if (as will hopefully be the case) the circuit has adequate fault protection and if (as will presumably be the case) the cable has a CCC of at least 10A, I'm not sure that there is really any problem (either electrically or regs-wise) in having a 10A OPD, is there?

Kind Regards, John

• Thanks
Reactions: ih
thanks very much for all very valuable advise & help will get the necessary checked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back